- Departments & Programs
- Spanish Minor
This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2022-23.
A minor in Spanish consists of a minimum of six courses at the 300 and 400 levels. The Spanish minor must include SPAN 361, and at least three 400-level literature courses, including at least one course from category 1. No independent study courses may be credited toward the minor.
Students with minors in Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply for the Madrid Study Group.
The following regulations apply:
- With some restrictions, only 300- and 400-level courses in language and literature may be counted.
- SPAN 361 may be taken for minor credit on campus only. An exception is made for students who have received credit for these courses by scoring 5 on the AP language exam.
- A student who has completed a 400-level course may not take a 350-level survey course.
- No course with a grade of less than C– is credited toward a minor. For graduation, the minimum GPA required in courses counting toward a minor is 2.00 (C); all departmental courses taken in the minor are used to calculate this average.
- No more than two departmental courses counting toward a minor or may be taken in any one term. Exceptions to this rule can be made only under very unusual circumstances and with the approval of the department chair.
Romance Languages and Literatures Department
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the Romance Language and Literatures department catalog page.