This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2023-24.
A minor in French consists of a minimum of six courses at the 300 and 400 levels. In French this must include FREN 361, two courses at the 350 level (taken before enrolling in a 400-level literature course), and a minimum of three 400-level literature courses, with at least one course taken from each of the two categories listed, under French Major.
The following regulations apply:
- With some restrictions, only 300- and 400-level courses in language and literature may be counted.
- FREN 361 may be taken for minor credit on campus only. An exception is made for students who have received credit for this course by scoring 5 on the AP language exam.
- A student who has completed a 400-level course may not take a 350-level survey course.
- No course with a grade of less than C– is credited toward a minor. For graduation, the minimum GPA required in courses counting toward a minor is 2.00 (C); all departmental courses taken in the minor are used to calculate this average.
- No more than two departmental courses counting toward a minor may be taken in any one term.
Romance Languages and Literatures Department
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the Romance Language and Literatures department catalog page.