The board’s responsibilities include long-range academic planning, the curriculum, the definition of academic integrity, academic advising, registration, academic calendars, graduation requirements, the granting of credits, and other matters directly related to the academic functions of the university. Policies regarding academic integrity are the joint responsibility of the Academic Affairs Board and the Student Affairs Board.
The membership of the Academic Affairs Board is as follows:
- Dean of the Faculty (chair)
- 5 Faculty (one each from the Divisions of Arts and Humanities, Natural Science and Mathematics, Social Sciences, Physical Education, Recreation and Athletics, and University Studies; elected by the faculty for three-year terms, which are renewable once)
- 3 Faculty (elected at-large by the faculty for three-year terms, renewable once)
- 5 Division Directors (1/2 vote each)
- 4 students
- University Librarian (1/2 vote)
- President of the Student Association (1/2 vote)
- 1 Associate Dean of the Faculty (ex officio, nonvoting)
- Dean of the College (ex officio, nonvoting)
The board also acts in an advisory capacity to the Provost and Dean of the Faculty on academic matters.
A faculty member, chosen by the elected faculty members of the board, reports to the faculty on a regular basis and conveys sense-of-the-faculty resolutions and agenda items to the Academic Affairs Board. A student, chosen by the student members of the Board, reports to the student senate on a regular basis and conveys sense-of-the-senate resolutions and suggested agenda items to the board.