The Safety Advisory Committee supports a safe learning, living, and working environment at Colgate University through risk analysis and mitigation while promoting a culture of safety with actively engaged community members.
Charge to the Committee
To ensure a safe workplace and learning environment for the Colgate University community, the Safety Advisory Committee will meet at least quarterly. The SAC is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and providing mitigation solutions to university-wide safety issues.
The committee also fulfills the safety committee requirements set forth in the Colgate University Employee Handbook and Marsh Risk Consulting’s minimum loss prevention standards for the New York Colleges & University Risk Management Group (NYC & URMG). As of November 1, 2021, the committee also meets the requirements set forth by the New York State HERO Act.
The committee is principally charged with the continual review of University safety and related risk management policies, procedures, practices, and physical conditions. Review of employee and student accident and injury reports will be conducted at meetings to assist in guiding safety-related recommendations, initiatives, and training. The committee will make recommendations to the university community through the Vice President for Finance and Administration and the Provost and Dean of the Faculty.
Current Committee Members
- Mary Williams, director of environmental health and safety, chair
- Jim Boss, millwright foreperson
- Steve Chouinard, associate athletic director for health and performance
- Andrew Fagon, assistant vice president for risk and strategic analysis
- Joseph Hernon, associate vice president for emergency management, campus safety, and environmental health and safety
- Stephen Hughes, associate vice president for facilities and capital projects
- Bill Miller, ITS lead hardware repair and installation specialist
- Amy Ryan, director of benefits and employee wellness
- Trish St. Leger, vice provost for administration and planning
- Mike Sitts, lieutenant for patrol and security services
- K.C. Stewart, campus safety officer