This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2023-24.
Writing workshops engage students in the dynamic process of creating their own poems, stories, novellas, essays, or memoirs. Creative writing students are also invited into a wider literary community beyond the classroom -- on campus -- that includes working on Colgate's student edited journal, The Portfolio, meeting writers at guest readings on campus and the possibility of giving their own readings in various venues on and off campus. Because the creation of literature is inseparable from the study of literature, students majoring in English/CW fulfill all the requirements for the English major while also taking at least three creative writing workshops.
11 total courses:
- The 6 required courses of the English Major
- 3 creative writing workshops
- 2 literature electives at any level
ENGL 217 may be taken only once. Instructor permission is necessary for admission to creative writing courses at the 300 and 400 levels.
Three workshop courses chosen from among the following:
- ENGL 217 - Introductory Workshop in Creative Writing (may be taken only once)
- ENGL 374 - Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL 377 - Fiction Writing Workshop
- ENGL 378 - Poetry Writing Workshop
- ENGL 477 - Advanced Workshop
- ENGL 491 - Independent Study
Passing grades must be earned in all courses counted for this major, with a GPA of 2.00 averaged over all courses taken in the department.
Honors and High Honors
Students interested in pursuing honors can find the additional requirements on the English and Creative Writing department page.
English and Creative Writing Department
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the English and Creative Writing Department catalog page.