Each year, through a variety of programs, the Department of Geography recognizes students doing exceptional work in the discipline.
The Peter Gould Award in Geography is presented to a senior geography major who has enriched the geography community through exemplary leadership, service, and achievement. The Shannon McCune Prize in Geography is presented to the senior geography major who has demonstrated outstanding academic merit and promise, as judged by the department’s faculty.
Gamma Theta Upsilon Honor Society
Colgate University is home to the Epsilon Psi chapter of the Gamma Theta Upsilon international geography honor society. Society members meet strict academic requirements and share a background and interest in the field of geography. They receive scholarship, research, internship, and networking opportunities in association with the society’s affiliated alumni organization, Omega Omega.
- Furthers professional interest in geography
- Strengthens student and professional training through academic experiences outside the formal classroom and laboratory
- Advances the status of geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation
- Encourages student research and offers an outlet for publication
- Raises and administers funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in geography
- Encourages members to apply geographic knowledge and skills in service to humankind