This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2020–21.
The requirements for the major are as follows:
All of the Following
- GEOG 211 - Geographies of Nature, Economy, Society
- GEOG 231 - Geography of the Physical Environment
- GEOG 245 - Geographic Information Systems and GEOG 245L(completed by the end of the fall semester of the senior year)
- GEOG 250 - Research Methods (completed by the end of the fall semester of the senior year)
- GEOG 401 - Seminar in Geography
- Four additional GEOG elective credits, two of which must be at the 300 level. Courses taken off-campus cannot be used to substitute for any of the five required coursesIn cases where a student is completing a double major and has obtained approval from the geography department chair, one course from the second major may be counted as one of the four elective courses.
To qualify with a major in geography, students must have achieved a minimum GPA of 2.00 over all courses taken in the department.
Honors and High Honors
Students interested in pursuing honors can find the additional requirements on the Geography department page.
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the Geography department catalogue page.