This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2020–21.
Students interested in the minor in creative writing should talk with a member of the department who teaches the writing workshops in order to plan an appropriate program of study.
The minimum of five courses must include the following:
ENGL 217 may be taken only once. Instructor permission is necessary for admission to creative writing courses at the 300 and 400 levels.
Three workshop courses chosen from among the following:
- ENGL 217 - Introductory Workshop in Creative Writing
- ENGL 374 - Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL 377 - Fiction Writing Workshop
- ENGL 378 - Poetry Writing Workshop
- ENGL 379 - Literary Journalism
- ENGL 477 - Advanced Workshop
- ENGL 491 - Independent Study
Two literature courses chosen from English offerings at the 300 and 400 level.
Passing grades are required in a minimum of five courses, with a minimum GPA of 2.00 averaged over all courses taken in the department.
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the English Department catalogue page.