Colgate offers full-semester, faculty-led off-campus study groups in locations all over the world, domestically and abroad. Students who participate in Colgate study groups immerse in new cultures, perspectives, and experiences.
Participants receive instruction and mentoring from the study group’s faculty director. In most programs, students also participate in courses taught at a host institution. All of the academic credits a student earns on a Colgate study group are applicable toward graduation at Colgate, with no complicated credit transfer process.
Each study group has its own academic focus, ranging from religion and philosophy studies in St. Andrews, Scotland, to hands-on scientific research in Bethesda, Md. Students may apply to any Colgate study group, regardless of their major or minor.
Available Study Groups
Some study groups are offered regularly, running annually at the same time of year, while others are offered based on faculty availability. Explore the regularly recurring programs, as well as those that will be offered in the coming academic year (updated each October).
- Australia, Wollongong — Geography
- China: Taiwan, Hong Kong, Beijing, and Kunming (biennial)
- England, London — English
- England, Manchester
- Italy, Venice
- Japan, Kyoto (biennial)
- Singapore, National University of Singapore Exchange
- South Korea, Seoul (biennial)
- Spain, Madrid
- United States, Bethesda Biomedical Research Study Group
- United States, Santa Fe, NM (biennial)
- Australia, Wollongong — Natural sciences
- England, London: Economics
- England, London: English
- England, London: History
- France, Dijon
- Germany, Freiburg
- Jamaica, Kingston (biennial)
- Scotland, St. Andrews
- Switzerland, Geneva
- United States, Washington, DC
- Wales, Cardiff