Colgate strives to build a sense of belonging and provide support to everyone regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
We aim to provide educational programs, community-building initiatives and advocacy for LGBTQ+ students, staff, and faculty.
A Welcoming Community
Colgate celebrates all intersectional identities working together to make the campus a more inclusive and welcoming community. We have:
- Chosen name and pronoun options for academic records, course rosters, and deans’, advisers’, and coaches’ dashboards as well as in the online Campus Directory.
- Health insurance policy that includes coverage for hormone therapy and gender reassignment surgery.
- Intersectional programming with the ALANA Cultural Center, the Office of the Chaplains, Women’s Studies Program, and LGBTQ Studies Program to help students explore the fullest expression of themselves.
- 40+ gender-inclusive restrooms across the campus
- Gender-inclusive residential experience, including gender-inclusive housing, special interest housing, and first-year room preferences.
- Professional staff who are SafeZone trained and committed to creating inclusive and equitable spaces and programs.
- LGBTQ+ student organizations, advised by the Office of LGBTQ+ Initiatives, including QTPOC (queer and trans students of color) and Lambda (an organization for LGBTQ+ students and allies)