Recreating Responsibly during COVID-19
During this time of uncertainty related to the spread of COVID-19, we have an increasing responsibility to take care of ourselves and to take care of others. Outdoor recreation, when engaged in responsibly, can be an excellent way to do both. Physical activity is important for physical and mental health and outdoor environments have been proven to reduce stress. They also provide areas where individuals can recreate and exercise while still maintaining appropriate social distance.
Below is a short, non-comprehensive list of outdoor places to recreate local to Hamilton, NY. “Local” is a dynamic term whose definition may be adapted with changes in the national situation, and each person should give serious thought to the range of places they would consider “local.” Colgate Outdoor Education encourages people to choose recreation locations which will not require them to make stops at gas stations or other businesses outside of the Hamilton area, or their own immediate community of businesses. The list below includes locations that are likely to meet that criteria, but we hope you’ll make the right decision based on your own circumstance.
Please remember to:
- Stay home if you are sick - no matter what!
- Avoid any activity or location which will put you within 6 feet of another person (unless you live with that person).
- Refrain from recreating in groups of 10 or more.
- If the parking area at the place you are trying to recreate is full, choose another location. Come back another time!
- Refrain from engaging in any activity that will put you at a higher risk for injury or being in need of emergency medical care.
- Consider bringing a mask or some sort of face shield to wear in the unforeseen emergency or event where you are closer to other individuals than intended.
- Only visit businesses, convenient stores, and gas stations within your immediate sphere of regular activity.
- Always bring water, food, map, and attire proper to your particular activity.
- Follow rules and regulations regarding recreation and COVID-19 implemented by each facility or land management area.
- Keep yourself up to speed with and follow the changes in state and federal regulations regarding COVID-19 protection measures.
- As always, have fun!
- And if you find yourself enjoying some healthy time outdoors at one of these locations, feel free to let us know you’ve done so by tagging us on Instagram @colgate_outdoor_education or on Facebook @colgateoutdoored
See also: New York Department of Environmental Conservation updates and best practice and CDC Guidelines for best practices. during COVID-19.