This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2023-24.
The requirements for a major are as follows:
- MATH 161 - Calculus I or equivalent experience approved by department chair
- MATH 162 - Calculus II or equivalent experience approved by department chair
In unusual circumstances, the following deadlines may be extended with departmental approval through student petition to the department chair.
- MATH 163 - Calculus III (completed by the end of the sophomore year)
- MATH 214 - Linear Algebra (completed by the end of the sophomore year)
- MATH 250 - Number Theory and Mathematical Reasoning (completed by the end of the sophomore year with a grade of C or better)
- MATH 375 - Abstract Algebra I (completed by the end of the junior year)
- MATH 377 - Real Analysis I (completed by the end of the junior year)
- Complete a thesis, normally during MATH 483 - Research Seminar: Mathematics . Note: Joint theses are allowed but will not normally be considered for honors. Exceptions may be made with departmental permission.
One elective from 200-level or above and three electives from 300-level and above. (Note that all four electives may be 300-level or above.) Electives may be any MATH course at the appropriate level except MATH 481, MATH 482 and MATH 483.
A minimum GPA of at least 2.00 in mathematics courses counted for the major is necessary to satisfy the major.
Honors and High Honors
Students interested in pursuing honors can find the additional requirements on the Mathematics department page.
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the Mathematics department catalog page.