The ’Gate Card is more than an official Colgate identification card.
It serves the Colgate community as a means of payment and access (acting as a key) at locations across the campus.
Use the ’Gate Card to pay with ’Gate Cash, a declining balance account, around campus and at select local businesses.
’Gate Cash - Declining Balance Account for Use around Campus and in Town
Use your ’Gate Card for purchases at the bookstore, campus dining locations, and mail services, as well as vending and laundry machines, library copiers, and participating area merchants. To activate ‘Gate Cash, you must:
- Check your balance and deposit funds online electronically using a credit or debit card. Available 24/7, no fee. You may also check balances and deposit funds via the Colgate Mobile App.
- Guests may make deposits online — they only need to know the student's name and ID number.
- Deposit cash at the Value Port III Terminals located in the Coop (next door to the mailroom) and Case Library (3rd floor).
- Bring or mail a cash/check deposit to the Cashier’s Window.
Unused ‘Gate Cash balances will roll to the next semester. Balances in excess of $5 will be refunded to you upon graduation or withdraw from the university. For a $20 processing fee, students may also withdraw unused funds at the end of the semester by contacting the Office of Student Accounts.
Accounts with unused balances that are inactive for more than 12 months will be subject to a $5.00 per month maintenance fee.
Please note: ‘Gate Cash cannot be used to pay Colgate student account balances from tuition, activity fee, housing, or meal plans. It may be used to pay miscellaneous fees or fines at the Colgate cashier window.
- Broad Street Diner - 10 Broad Street
- Colgate Inn - 11 Payne St.
- Dunkin' Donuts - 34 Utica St.
- Fojo Beans - 10 Utica St.
- The Hamilton Inn - 4480 East Lake Rd.
- Hamilton Whole Foods - 28 Broad St.
- Main Moon Chinese Restaurant - 24 Utica St.
- New York Pizzeria - 39 Lebanon St.
- Oliveri's Pizzeria - 14 Lebanon St.
- Poolville Country Store - 1245 Earlville Rd.
- Quack's Village Inn - 7239 State Route 20, Madison
- Royal India Grill - 6 Broad St.
- Seven Oaks Clubhouse - Payne St./E. Lake Rd.
- Seven Oaks Golf Club - Payne St./E. Lake Rd.
- Subway - 34 Utica St.
- VJ's Diner and Restaurant - 169 Utica St.
- Ye Olde Pizza Pub - 2614 Route 12B
- 8 Fresh - 22 Utica St.
- Byrne Dairy - 31 Utica St.
- Dougherty Pharmacy - 1017 Madison Marketplace
- Express Mart - 59 Utica St.
- Kinney Drugs - 103 Utica St.
- Hamilton Theater - 7 Lebanon St.
Area Salons and Hair Care
- JJ's Hair and Tanning Salon - 29 Lebanon St.
Swipe your card for access to the dining halls.
Meal Plan Information
If you are enrolled in a Colgate meal plan, your ’Gate Card maintains all the information and must be presented for entry into campus dining locations.
You can check your meal balance online, or via the Colgate Mobile App.
If you don't have a Colgate meal plan, or don’t wish to deduct a full meal plan at a dining facility, food can be purchased à la carte with your ‘Gate Cash at Chobani at the Hieber Café, the Coop, Donovan's Pub, C-Store and full meals can be purchased at Frank Dining Hall.
Flex Dollars are different from ‘Gate Cash and are available with certain meal plans. These add flexibility to your dining options and may be spent like cash at Frank, the Coop, Chobani at Hieber Café, Donovan's Pub, and the C-Store. As an additional value, Flex Dollars are tax exempt. Unused dollars may carry over from fall to spring semesters. However, unused Flex Dollars expire on the last day of the academic calendar year and do not roll over to the following academic year.
You can check your Flex Dollars balance online, or via the Colgate Mobile App.
Swipe your card for access to some locked spaces on campus
Access to Campus Buildings
Buildings on campus are kept secure by requiring students to swipe their ‘Gate Card for access. This includes most residential buildings, Trudy Fitness center, and select academic and administrative buildings and rooms.
Questions or concerns about ‘Gate Card access should be directed to Campus Safety.
Gate Card Help
Report the problem to the Facilities Department
- E-mail email@example.com
- Phone 315-228-7131 or 315-228-7130
- If after business hours, contact the Heating Plant at 315-228-7468
Provide detailed description of issue
- Building name and location of laundry room, washer or dryer, machine number if possible
- Specific concern/problem. For example: "machine does not start and lost money," "reader shows 'cash only,'" "dryer does not heat"
Report it to Campus Safety in person or by phone (315-228-7333)
- Or report it online from Manage Your Account on the 'Gate Card website
- Replacement cards, other than those replaced due to normal wear, cost $40.00.
- Campus Safety issues and maintains ‘Gate Cards. The card is issued free of charge, but a fee is assessed to replace lost, mutilated, or stolen cards.
- ID pictures are taken at Campus Safety
- Don't tamper with the picture or information on the card.
- Keep your card away from magnets, computers, and cell phones.
- Keep the card away from excessive heat.
- Bending, scratching, or punching holes in the card may render it unreadable.
- Don't put the card through the washing machine.
- Above all, do not lose your card, as the encoded information is yours alone.