The Manzi Fellowship Program is a paid summer internship program that allows you to work in nonprofit organizations in the Boston area.
About the Fellowship
The Manzi Fellowship is a competitive fellowship, established in 1995 by Jim Manzi ’73. Significant criteria for selection are a demonstrated commitment to community service and the potential to pursue such work after college.
Those awarded a fellowship receive a stipend of $5,000 and are assigned to a project or agency in greater Boston, working 40 hours per week for 10 weeks.
The Manzi Fellowship application period has closed for the 2019–2020 academic year.
- To offer quality, in-depth, paid service-based internship opportunities with Colgate-approved organizations in the greater Boston area for students completing their first, sophomore, or junior years; this is an area of great interest to Colgate students, but one in which paid positions are increasingly rare.
- For students to develop expertise and hands-on involvement in activities fundamental to a well-run not-for-profit organization, such as administrative work, projects, direct service to individuals or groups, fundraising, research, public relations.
- To foster a good match between a fellowship opportunity and a Colgate student who has demonstrated an ongoing commitment to community service.
- To increase Colgate’s internship offerings for students interested in community-based health, mental health, human rights, cultural and historical education, homelessness, and underserved children.
- Attend an on-campus orientation session (if abroad, orientation sessions can be completed virtually)
- Participate in a group dinner meeting with Mr. Manzi
- Complete a web-based questionnaire including (1) a brief summary/blog post (200 words) of my summer experience and (2) a thank you letter to Mr. Manzi
- Submit a final supervisor’s evaluation of your performance after the completion of your 10-week program
- Take and share a photo of you in-action at your internship site
- Participate in a Career Services program to share your experience with other students
Hours and Work Schedule
The internship will run for 10 weeks. No vacations, absences, delayed start dates or early departures are permitted, except where sanctioned by Colgate University, with the assent of the sponsoring organization, in exceptional circumstances.
Fellows are expected to work for a total of 40 hours per week, Monday–Friday.
In the case of internships that have a shorter workday, you are responsible for calculating the hours necessary to reach a 40-hour work week, and, with your supervisor, for arranging additional work to cover this gap. This must be arranged prior to commencing the internship and communicated to the Manzi Fellowship Coordinator. The nature of the additional work could be:
- A research project related to the work of the organization
- Support work for special projects such as fundraising, event planning