As a first-year student, Colgate’s four Residential Commons are the foundation of your living and learning experience, helping to build a strong sense of belonging and connection. Supported by professional staff members, your commons will build your academic and social transition in a welcoming, enriching, and supportive community.
Where You’ll Live
First-year students live in one of the traditional residence halls on upper-campus, just a short walk from academic buildings, dining centers, and other student life facilities.
All first-year students can expect to be placed in a double, triple, or suite room within one of the four commons along with the rest of the students in their assigned First-Year Seminar (FSEM) course. Having students live with peers from their FSEM helps to facilitate deeper intellectual discussions both in the classroom and within the commons.
- Andrews Hall
- East Hall
- Gate House
- Burke Hall
- Curtis Hall
- Drake Hall
- Bryan Complex (Cobb, Crawshaw, Parke and Russell Houses)
- 113 Broad (Read, Shephardson, Whitnall, Brigham Houses)
Mabel Dart Colegrove Commons
- Pinchin Hall
- Stillman Hall
- West Hall
Housing Process for Incoming Students
Roommate Matching and Housing Preference Form
For your first year, you will be matched with a roommate within your commons who shares similar living-learning characteristics based on your responses in the housing preference form. The housing preference form will ask you questions about your sleep schedule, communication style and similar types of information.
You’ll receive an email from the Office of Residential Life directing you to complete the Housing Preference form on the Housing Portal in early summer.
First-year Housing Timeline and Accommodations
Login to your new student checklist to view housing to learn more about the first-year and transfer housing due dates.
Moving to Colgate
What to Bring
As you consider bringing optional items for comfort and convenience this fall, please pack as lightly as possible.
- XL twin size sheets, mattress cover
- Bedspread or comforter, blankets
- Pillow and pillowcases
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc)
- Shower caddy, shower shoes, towels
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket or bag, detergent, softener
- Backpack, school supplies
- First-aid kit and digital thermometer
- Heavy jacket, water-repellent boots, raincoat, umbrella, hat and gloves, layered clothing
- Personal computer and all electronics chargers
- Powerstrip with surge protector
- Keychain or lanyard for room key
- Cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer
- Headphones, ear plugs
- Room decor, 3M Command strips
- Can opener, cups, coffee mugs, silverware, reusable water bottle, and filtered pitcher
- Desk lamp (no halogen bulbs)
- Lockable storage
Subject to confiscation and/or disciplinary action
- Candles, incense, halogen lamps, neon signs, flammable liquids, fireworks,
- Appliances that require excessive currents (air conditioners, large refrigerators) or appliances that have open coils or do not have an automatic shut-off device
- Appliances with an open heat source (toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates, sandwich makers)
- Charcoal or gas/propane grills
- Space heaters
- Extension cords without an installed circuit breaker or surge-protection device
- Cinder blocks
- All weapons, including firearms, knives, air pistols, paintball, decorative or any other weapons
- Alcohol, drugs, or drug paraphernalia (this includes “decorative” alcohol bottles and drug-related items)
Remember, if it doesn’t fit in your car, it won’t fit in your room! If you have questions about what you’re allowed to bring, please check the Colgate Student Handbook or call residential life at 315-228-7367.
Shipping and Helpful Vendors
Shipping Your Belongings
If you need to ship belongings, please plan for them to arrive near your arrival date. You will find your CU box number in your student portal, and please be sure to include this on all mail and packages. Here is how you should write your new address:
Your Name ’27
CU Box Number
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346
Forget something, can't fit it in your car or need help moving? There are plenty of vendors in the local and Hamilton area to help you get settled into your new home away from home.