We are excited to recognize the accomplishments of the Class of 2022 during commencement weekend, May 20–22, 2022.
Planning the Weekend
Most commencement weekend details are sent out during the spring semester. Meanwhile, here are some planning tips for graduating seniors and families.
Most families choose to arrive on campus on the Friday of commencement weekend.
Friday, May 20
- Senior Dinner (Evening)
Saturday, May 21
- Baccalaureate Service (Afternoon)
- Senior Torchlight Procession (Late Evening )
Sunday, May 22
- Commencement Ceremony (10:30 a.m.)
- On-Campus Housing Closes (8:00 p.m.)
We livestream the ceremony for those who are unable to attend in person.
The senior checklist has important advance to-dos and preparation on specific timelines for graduating seniors to complete. The Commencement Executive Committee will send instructions via in advance of the Graduation Fair.
In February, this will be the one-stop chance to take care of items on the senior checklist, including ordering senior dinner and ceremony tickets. They can also schedule a senior portrait session; order a class ring, yearbook, or graduation announcements; donate to the senior class gift; and sign up for colgate.edu email for life. Plus, win door prizes!
Senior Checklist Key Items (Deadline: March 25)
- Ceremony Ticket Order
- Provide Guest accessibility accommodations info
- Cap and Gown Order
- Clarify Name Pronunciation
- Senior Slideshow Photo Submission (candid or portrait)
- Guest Lodging Request (if possible)
- Colgate Sweater Size Request
Seniors are responsible for reserving up to five guest tickets, in case inclement weather forces the ceremony indoors, where seating will be limited.
Seniors are responsible for RSVPing on behalf of their guests.
Tips for helping to plan your visit on this momentous occasion.
Our event will adhere to New York State and CDC guidance for academic celebrations based on the conditions of the COVID-19 pandemic at the time. All attendees will be expected to adhere to Public Health Guidelines and we will share details when they are available.
Pre-pandemic, Colgate offered on-campus lodging Friday and Saturday night to families for a nominal cost. It remains uncertain whether we will be able to offer this option for 2022; if possible, reservations would open in the spring semester. Visit the Hotels & Accommodations page for options in the region.
- Registration Email (Early April)
- Weekend Details Brochure (Mailing Mid-April)
- Final Guest Information Email (Early May)
Visit colgate.edu/local-dining; be sure to call ahead for hours of operation and space availability. In addition, the Hamilton Price Chopper Super Center offers groceries, grab-and-go meal solutions, and catering.
Graduating seniors may hold private picnics in designated locations on University-owned property. We ask that these gatherings not be scheduled during the senior dinner, baccalaureate service, and commencement ceremony.
- All events during commencement weekend are optional for parents and families.
- The commencement ceremony runs for approximately 2½ hours.
- There is no dress code. Attendees are encouraged to consider the weather and wear what is comfortable for them.
- May 22, 2022
- May 21, 2023
- May 19, 2024
- May 18, 2025
Colgate maintains archives of photos, video, and speech transcripts from commencement ceremonies dating back five years on the website.