We’re going to miss hanging out with you on the Merrill House porch this summer, but we find ourselves in need of a little sabbatical. For now, we’re saying the 2023 conference is not canceled but merely postponed. For updates on our plans for 2024, join our email list.
Since 1995, the Colgate Writers Conference has been nurturing writers at every stage, from aspiring to published. People can apply to study for two hours every day with one of our distinguished faculty in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and drama, or they can simply relax and recharge in our bucolic surroundings. We offer daily talks on the craft of writing as well as the practicalities of publishing. Every day ends with a reading followed by a convivial gathering on the Merrill House porch.
- The range of workshops in multiple genres and forms, including small workshops for people with completed prose manuscripts
- A jump-starter workshop for people who’ve got the germ of an idea but want help getting words on paper
- One-on-one manuscript consultations with workshop leaders
- A no-fee application process with rolling decisions
- A retreater option for people who want to take advantage of all the conference offerings except a workshop
- A warm sense of community that extends equally to returnees and fresh faces
- A laid-back environment in which faculty and participants mingle outside of workshops
- NEW THIS YEAR! A theme to spark conversation and perhaps even debate
- Pricing that includes tuition, food and housing for the week
- Generous fellowships and scholarships for qualified applicants
Please call, write, or email the conference staff for more information.
Office of Conference Services and Summer Programs
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346-1398