This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2023-24.
A student interested in astronomy or astrophysics should enroll in this program. A student interested in planetary astronomy should also consider the astrogeophysics program.
- MATH 161 - Calculus I
- MATH 163 - Calculus III
- PHYS 131 - Atoms and Waves
- PHYS 201 - Mathematical Methods for Physics
- PHYS 232 - Introduction to Mechanics
- PHYS 233 - Introduction to Electricity and Magnetism
- PHYS 334 - Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity
- PHYS 205 - Mathematical Methods of Physics
- ASTR 210 - Intermediate Astronomy and Astrophysics
- ASTR 312 - Astronomical Techniques
One of the Following
- ASTR 414 - Astrophysics
- ASTR 416 - Galactic and Extragalactic Astronomy
- ASTR 313 - Planetary Science
- Two additional astronomy or physics courses at the 300 or 400 level (excluding PHYS 334, PHYS 336, PHYS 392, PHYS 492, ASTR 312, ASTR 392, and ASTR 492)
- PHYS 410 - Advanced Topics and Experiments
Students interested in pursuing honors can find the additional requirements on the Physics and Astronomy department page.
Physics and Astronomy department
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the Physics and Astronomy department catalog page.