- Ph.D. in Economics, M.A. in Economics, University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. in International Economics and Trade, Renmin University of China
Economics of education, development economics, and behavioral economics
- Song, Y., Loewenstein, G. and Shi, Y., 2018. Heterogeneous Effects of Peer Tutoring: Evidence from Rural Chinese Middle Schools. Research in Economics
- Song, Y. 2018. Intended and Unintended Effects of Student Performance Measurement Reforms in China. China Economic Review.
- Song, Y. 2019. Sorting, School Performance and Quality: Evidence from China. Journal of Comparative Economics.
- “An Adviser Like Me: Does Gender Matter?” with Takao Kato
- “Socioeconomic Status, Information, and School Choice: Lessons from Urban China” with Emily Gu (student)
- “Comparing the Ethnicity Proxy and Residual Method: Applications to the DREAM Act and DACA” with Xintong Liu (student)
- "College Matching Mechanisms and Matching Stability: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in China" with Wei Ha and Le Kang
Work in Progress
- “Moving to Opportunities? Housing Market Responses to the California Top X% Policy” with Xiaohan Zhang and Haoyang Liu
- “Gender Differences in School Choice”
- “Urgency and Efficiency” with George Loewenstein
- Andrew Mellon Predoctoral Fellowship, 2014-2015
- University of Pittsburgh Chinese Studies Graduate Student Conference Travel Grant, 2015
- Economics Department Travel Grant, 2014
- University of Pittsburgh Arts and Sciences Graduate Student Organization Travel Grant 2014
- University of Pittsburgh ASPBC Alumni Travel Grant, 2014
- Jerome C. Wells Teaching Award, 2013-2014
- Graduate Student Summer Research Fellowship, 2013
- Chou Fellowship for Economics, 2010-2012
- Agricultural Bank of China Academic Excellence Fellowship, 2009-2010
- Journal referee: Review of Economics and Statistics; Journal of Comparative Economics; Journal of the Japanese and International Economies; The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter; China Economic Review; Economics & Human Biology; Eastern Economic Journal.
- Memberships: American Economic Association, Econometric Society, Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management, Association for Education Finance and Policy, Chinese Economists Society.
- Judge for School of Arts and Sciences Grad Expo, University of Pittsburgh (2013)
- Department Delegate, Arts and Sciences GSO, University of Pittsburgh (2012-2013)