University of Rochester, Rochester NY
- PhD in Political Science, October 2010
- MA in Political Science, October 2007
Lawrence University, Appleton WI
BA in Economics and Government with Honors, June 2004
Development, migration, citizenship, borders, Bangladesh-India relations, Rohingya refugees, marginalized communities
- POSC 232: Fundamentals of International Relations
- POSC 349: International Political Economy
- POSC 364: Politics of India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan
- POSC 434: Politics of Migration
- POSC 454: The Cold War and After
Colgate University, Hamilton NY
- Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, June 2016 - present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, October 2010 - June 2016
- Instructor, Department of Political Science, July 2009 – September 2010
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Visiting Fellow, School of International Studies, August 2012 – May 2013
- The Politics of Refugees in South Asia: Identity, Resistance, Manipulation. New York and London: Routledge (2013).
- Governance and the Governed: Democracy and Development in Bangladesh (co-edited with Ahrar A. Ahmed, Akhlaque Haque, and Rahim Quazi). Dhaka: University Press Limited (2019).
Articles in Edited Volumes
Select Articles in Popular Media
- Why is Burma driving out the Rohingya — and not its other despised minorities? The Washington Post. November 9, 2017.
- Floods are Devastating South Asia, Too. Socialist Worker. September 6, 2017. https://socialistworker.org/2017/09/06/floods-are-devastating-south-asia-too
- Stateless and Left out at Sea. The Hindu. June 3, 2015.
- Bengali Muslims in India: Bangladeshis until proven otherwise? BD News 24: Opinion. May 4, 2014
- The Rohingya in Regional Politics. Kathakata. May 3, 2014. http://kathakata.com/archives/1260
- Migrant Stories. Kathakata. November 27, 2013. http://kathakata.com/archives/1045
- Nanu’s Songs. Alal O Dulal. December 11, 2013. http://alalodulal.org/2013/12/11/nanus-songs/
- Savar Tragedy: Solution in Solidarity. Kafila. May 7, 2013
- Lessons from Delhi and Dhaka. Kafila. February 14, 2012 (with Nagesh Rao)
- Rohingya Crisis: Time for a New Beginning. The Daily Star. August 7, 2012. http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=245074
- Hartals make Sense? New Age Bangladesh. September 27, 2011 http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/archive_details.php?date=2011-09-27&nid=34778