- BA, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1995
- MA, Simon Fraser University, 1998
- PhD, University of Minnesota, 2006
- Geographical political economy with particular interests in regional restructuring and inequality
- Regional/local development with particular interests in community resilience and sustainability
- GIS, spatial statistical, and econometric application in geography
- Comparative and connective economic geography of East Asia and North America
- CORE167C Japan
- GEOG107 Is the Planet Doomed?
- GEOG211 Geographies of Nature, Economy and Society
- GEOG245 Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG313 Geographical Political Economy: Asia in Globalization
- GEOG315 Sustainable Livelihoods in Asia
Rebuilding Fukushima (edited with Mitsuo Yamakawa). (London: Routledge, 2017). Link
Unravelling the Fukushima Disaster (edited with Mitsuo Yamakawa). (London: Routledge, 2016). Link
Peer Reviewed Articles
Economic Resilience of Japanese Nuclear Host Communities: A Quasi-Experimental Modeling Approach. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space (with Paul Plummer). Accepted.
Resisting Globalization Through Services? A View from the Diverse Economies Literature. Annals of the Japan Association of Economic Geographers. 63 (2017), 60-76 (in Japanese) Link
Recasting the Agglomeration Benefits for Innovation in a Hits-Based Cultural Industry: Evidence from the Japanese Console Videogame Industry (with Seiji Hanzawa). Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography. 59 (2017), 59-78. Link
World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) in the United States: Locations and Motivations of Volunteer Tourism Host Farms (with A. Katrina Engelsted). Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 22 (2014), 964-982.
Community Resilience to a Developmental Shock: A Case Study of a Rural Village in Nagano, Japan (with Yumiko Yamamoto). Resilience: International Policies, Practices and Discourses. 1 (2013), 99-115.
Repositioning Regional Inequality Research from the Geographical Political Economy Perspective. Annals of the Japan Association of Economic Geographers. 58(3) (2012), 228-237 (in Japanese).
Regional Resilience: Prospects for Regional Development Research. Geography Compass. 5 (2011), 723-736.
Trends of Sustainable Tourism Research. Journal of Environmental Sociology. 15 (2009), 139-152 (in Japanese).
Scales of Regional Income Disparities in the United States, 1955-2003. Journal of Economic Geography. 8 (2008), 79-103.
Production Linkages in and between Places: The Recent Development of the Bicycle Industry Agglomeration in Osaka. Annals of the Japan Association of Economic Geographers. 50 (2004), 1-23.
Gauging Metropolitan 'High-Tech' and 'I-Tech' Activity (with Karen Chapple, Ann Markusen, Greg Schrock, and Pingkang Yu). Economic Development Quarterly. 18 (2004), 10-29.
Issues of Globalization and Reflexivity in the Japanese Tourism Production System: The Case of Whistler, British Columbia (with Alison M. Gill). Professional Geographer. 54 (2002), 83-93. 2002.
Book Chapters and Other Articles
Life Environmentalism. Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology, Second Edition. Forthcoming.
米国における原子力発電と立地地域ー廃炉局面を迎えて. 歴史と地理 713 (2018/4), 58-67.
開発とスポーツの空間ー地理学の視点 (Spaces of Development and Sport: A Geographical Perspective). In Matsumura, K. et al. eds. 開発とスポーツの社会学ー開発主義を超えて (Tokyo: Nansosha, 2015). 142-161 (In Japanese).
- Social Science Research Council, Abe Fellowship 2014
- Colgate University Research Council, Picker Fellowship 2011-12