Apply to Work With Us
The Writing and Speaking Center accepts applications in March for new peer consultants to begin each fall.
- In addition to demonstrating strong writing or speaking skills, peer consultants are personable, reliable, and able to help others learn. For more information about qualifications, please download an application.
- Applications are accepted only in March for work to begin the following fall. Students who will be abroad in the fall should wait another year to apply.
- Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible.
- Students from all majors are encouraged to apply.
- Peer writing consultants must be able to work at least 6 hours/week (maximum 12 hours), and at least two shifts per week must be evening shifts (after 4:00pm). Most consultants work 6-8 hours per week.
- Peer consultants must have and maintain a 3.0 minimum GPA in courses requiring research-based writing or textual analysis.
- New peer consultants must be available to attend staff trainings every other Friday afternoon in the fall semester. These 90-minute trainings typically begin at 1:15 or 2:15pm, depending on new consultants' class schedules.
The center will be hiring again in March 2019, for work to begin in academic year 2019-2020. Download and print the Writing Consultant Application 2019 or pick one up in the Writing & Speaking Center (208 Lathrop Hall).
The Speaking Center is not currently hiring.
Submissions and Deadline
Please place your application materials in the mailbox of Professor J. Lutman, Suite 213 Lathrop Hall, Department of Writing and Rhetoric.
Deadline: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 8, 2019.
Applicants selected for first-round interviews will be notified by April 1. Final hiring decisions will be made before exam week in May.
If you have any questions, please email Professor Lutman (email@example.com) or call her at 315-228-7376.