Are you sending your records outside the country and need an apostille for your transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment? The sole function of the apostille is to certify the authenticity of the signature on the document.

You must request your official transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment from the Office of the Registrar and indicate you need an apostille. The registrar’s office will certify that the document is an official record of the original document and will have the document notarized by a Notary Public on campus. This may take 2-4 business days after the request is received. 

The document will then be mailed to Madison County Clerk's Office in Wampsville, NY, where the clerk is qualified to certify the signature of the Notary Public. Finally, the clerk’s office will mail the document back to the student. The document must then be presented by the student to the New York State Department of State for authentication.

In order to process your request, the registrar’s office at Colgate must receive:

  1. A brief note explaining what is needed, why it is being requested, and what country will be receiving the document(s).
  2. The transcript request form and/or the replacement diploma order form and fee (if applicable).
  3. Note: If you have your diploma, you may make a photocopy and send the photocopy to the registrar's office, rather than requesting a replacement diploma.
  4. One (1) self-addressed stamped 8 ½ x 11 envelope (for Madison County to return the documents to you). Note: Please affix two (2) stamps for a transcript and four (4) stamps for a diploma.
  5. A check ($3 per document) made payable to Madison County Clerk's Office. 
  6. Note: U.S. currency is also acceptable. Foreign checks are not acceptable.

To complete the process, the transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment must be forwarded to the New York State Department of State for authentication. Once you receive your document(s) from the Madison County Clerk’s Office, you will need to forward it to the Albany or New York City office of the New York State Department of State. Colgate University and the Madison County Clerk's office will not forward this document for you.

For address information and more information on this process please visit the New York State Department of State’s website.

If you have questions, please contact the registrar's office at 315-228-7408, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.