Requesting a Transcript

Transcript requests are normally processed in 2–4 business days. During very busy times of the year (especially the beginning and end of the academic terms), it may take up to a week to process a request. Express mail transcripts are processed the day the request and payment for postage are received and processed. Please note that the Registrar’s Office does not fax transcripts.

Per the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, transcripts cannot be released without the student's consent and signature. Because federal law requires that we obtain your signature, phone and e-mail transcript requests (without handwritten signature) are not accepted.

Once a transcript request has been processed, a new request is required for another copy to be released. This includes instances when a transcript does not reach its intended destination. Federal law prohibits exceptions to this policy. Also, it is our policy not to send partial or incomplete transcripts. Thus, transcripts for currently enrolled students will not be processed at the end of a semester until all grades have been received and posted, and the student’s GPA recalculated.

There is no fee for requesting a transcript. Official transcripts are printed on special security paper and mailed in individual, officially sealed envelopes (regardless of the number of copies requested). Students who no longer attend Colgate (those who have graduated, withdrawn, etc.) can only obtain an official transcript. Only active, currently enrolled Colgate students may obtain an unofficial transcript.

Note: Students applying for law school through LSAC or other post-graduate work who have studied on an approved program or have other transfer credit should also request their transcript from those institutions directly. This does not apply to students who have studied on a Colgate Study Group.

Transcript Release Options

Please read all options thoroughly to determine which option best suits your needs.

Print, complete, and submit the transcript request form to the Office of the Registrar by fax, mail, e-mail (must be scanned and attached), or in person. Transcripts are typically processed within 2-4 business days and are sent via USPS First Class mail. There is a limit of 25 copies per week.

For AACOMAS Applicants: You will need to submit the AACOMAS form along with a hand-signed Colgate transcript request form. The Registrar's Office will make sure a copy of the AACOMAS form is sent along with your Colgate transcript by mail.

This option is available to currently enrolled students and students who attended beginning in the year 1997 or later. Print, complete, and submit the transcript request form to the Office of the Registrar by fax, mail, e-mail (must be scanned and attached), or in person. 

The recipient box on the form must include the e-mail address to which the electronic transcript notification should be sent. 

An e-mail notification is sent informing the recipient a transcript is available for pick-up at a unique URL contained within the message. Transcripts are not sent via e-mail, only the notification of where the transcript resides and how to access it in a secure manner. Because of the use of e-mail to transmit the message concerning the URL and the fact many legitimate messages do not, at times, get through aggressive spam filters, it is important the requester notifies the recipient they are sending an electronic transcript that will be announced by an e-mail; asks the recipient to add the domain to their safe senders list. 

For AMCAS and LSAC Applicants: The AAMC’s American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) now accept electronic transcripts from approved senders, including Colgate University. Students who attended Colgate beginning in the year 1997 or later can request an electronic transcript to be sent directly to AMCAS or LSAC by submitting the AMCAS or LSAC form containing the student’s hand-written signature. If you would like an email confirmation when your transcript has been delivered to AMCAS or LSAC, please provide your email address on your request form.

Print, complete, and submit the transcript request form to the Office of the Registrar by fax, mail, e-mail (must be scanned and attached), or in person. There is a postage fee of $30 for domestic mail; $70 for international mail. 

Express mail payment: You must pay online for the express mail option using Colgate's online payment system. Your transcript request and online payment must be received before your transcript can be processed. The registrar's office will receive confirmation from the payment system when your payment has been made.   

Transcripts are mailed via United States Postal System (USPS) Express Mail. Fifteen (15) transcripts fit in one Express Mail envelope; additional postage fees will be applied to requests of more than 15 transcripts.

Transcript Request Form

Please send completed transcript request form(s) to the Office of the Registrar by mail or e-mail:


Office of the Registrar
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346

(must be scanned and attached)



Unofficial Transcripts

Unofficial transcripts are available only to current students. Students who have graduated or withdrawn are not eligible to receive unofficial transcripts. 

Current students may access their unofficial transcript by logging into the portal. Once logged in, click on the Registrar's tab in the Banner Self-Service portlet and choose the "Get Unofficial Transcripts" link.

Students may also receive an unofficial copy of their transcript from the registrar's office. Students must present their Colgate ID when requesting an unofficial copy.

Requesting an Apostille

Are you sending your records outside the country and need an apostille for your transcript, diploma, and/or verification of enrollment? The sole function of the apostille is to certify the authenticity of the signature on the document. 

Requesting an Apostille

Transcript Policies

Changes to Academic Records

Academic records are sealed upon graduation, withdrawal, or permanent dismissal from Colgate University. No changes or additions to a student’s undergraduate transcript will be permitted after this date. This includes, but is not limited to, grade changes, majors and minors, crosslisted courses, additional transfer credits, or additional courses taken at Colgate following graduation.

Transcript Notations

According to New York State law, a student who is suspended or expelled due to crimes of violence as defined by the federal Clery Act, will have a notation added to their transcript. For full policy details, please refer to the Equity Grievance Process.