Career Services is committed to engaging students early and often through all stages of career development — exploration, planning, reflection, and decision-making.
Mission of Career Services
Leveraging the Colgate network, Colgate Career Services empowers Colgate students and alumni to engage in strategic exploration, preparation, and action — translating the liberal arts into a lifetime of meaningful work.
Fulfilling the Mission
Colgate Career Services fulfills its mission through:
Career advisors are adept in helping students discover a sense of self and purpose, even when starting from scratch. Once pinpointed, students consult with career advisors savvy in a particular industry, learning the best strategies for career success.
Our advisors conduct research, attend professional conferences, and network with faculty, employers, and alumni partners to stay current on industry trends.
We employ multiple strategies to cultivate and maintain relationships with providers of diverse post-graduate opportunities. Our online internship and job platform, Colgate Handshake, hosts Colgate Premier employment opportunities specifically targeting Colgate students.
Colgate’s membership in select recruiting consortia expands our geographic offerings and broadens our network of employer partners. The following options can complement the partnerships employers form with Colgate to provide additional and efficient recruiting options aimed at the nation’s top liberal arts students.
- Career and Internship Connection (CIC): Attend our career fair and/or conduct pre-selected interviews in Boston, Los Angeles, NYC, and Washington, D.C. over students’ January break.
- Summer on the Cuyahoga (SOTC): Paid internships, alumni networking, and community housing offered as part of an economic development program in Cleveland.
Partnering with Faculty
For successful outcomes it is vital that Colgate Career Services work together with faculty in providing students with guidance as they prepare for their lives as college graduates.
What You Can Do
In addition to sharing your own insights, please refer students to Colgate Career Services should they inquire with you about general career or industry-specific questions. We are able to assist students in:
- Clarifying career and academic interests utilizing career assessments.
- Developing job and internship search strategies.
- Writing basic or targeted resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
- The process of applying to graduate or professional schools, including standardized testing.
- Preparing for employment interviews.
- Identifying career resources for special populations: students of color, LGBTQ, veterans, international students, etc.
- Funding to support unpaid or underpaid experiential opportunities.
- Receiving academic credit for internships where credit is required.
We ask that the faculty please share any internship or full-time opportunities sent by employers, parents, or former students, as well as student worker positions you have submitted to the Portal. We post these positions to Colgate Handshake where it will receive maximum student exposure. Just e-mail us the description.
We are always considering new ways to reach out to and engage with faculty across campus. If you have ideas of new ways we might collaborate with you or adjust our current practices, please contact us at email@example.com.
What We Can Do
One way to help students connect their academic work at Colgate to their plans for life after graduation is to collaborate with Career Services for an in-class presentation tailored to the students in class. A 15-45 minute presentation or workshop in class may be a productive and educational opportunity at a time when your own schedule may require you to cancel class or have a late arrival/early departure.
Colgate Career Services staff is also available to attend departmental meetings to share current initiatives in career services, provide an overview of services and opportunities, and to collaborate with the department to best meet the needs of students.
Available Subject Matter
Here are a few possible topics we are prepared to present:
- How to prepare study group participants for their internship placements and applying for summer internships from off-campus.
- What can I do/What have Colgate alumni done with a particular major?
- Using Career Assessments to discern interests, values, and career direction.
- Preparing application materials – targeting resumes and cover letters.
- Personal statement preparation for graduate school admission.
- A general overview of Career Services.
To schedule, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Services has funds designated to collaborate with faculty on events designed to expose students to diverse career paths. We also entertain proposals from students to subsidize career-oriented conference registration fees.
Funds are limited, so connect with Colgate Career Services as early as possible to take advantage of these resources.
Colgate Career Services tracks students’ summer and first post-graduate outcomes and can provide department-specific data to aid your work with current students—especially those who seek clarity on what to do with a certain major.
Members of the faculty are welcome to attend on-campus career events, including employer information sessions, to learn more about their interests and processes. Many of our employers seek access to the faculty, and many sometimes members of the faculty will invite the contacts they make with employers or graduate programs into classroom or student organization settings for informational purposes.
If this is something in which you are interested, please contact Recruiting & Employer Relations.
Colgate Premier Employers, 2018–19
Colgate worked with the employers during the 2018–19 academic year to pair students with post-graduation career opportunities.
- AbbVie Bioresearch Center Inc.
- Advantage Capital
- Almo Corporation
- AlphaSights, Inc.
- Alz You Need
- America's Growth Capital (AGC) Partners
- Apogee Adventures
- Arden Theatre Company
- Artisan Healthcare Consulting
- Associated Press
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Barclays Capital Inc.
- Blockchain Art Collective
- BNP Paribas
- Bob Woodruff Foundation
- Brilliant Pathways
- Cambridge Associates LLC
- Camp Winadu
- Carlisle & Company, Inc.
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates
- Cause Strategy Partners
- Celgene Corporation
- Center for Career Services
- Child Trends
- Chimera Securities
- Citigroup Inc.
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Close Concerns
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Colgate University
- Collier County Public Schools
- Community Memorial Hospital
- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
- Continuum Partners International
- Crius Energy, LLC
- Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Dore Partnership
- EF Educational Tours
- Elite Scholars of China
- ENODO Global, Inc.
- Epic Systems
- Ernst & Young LLP (EY)
- Exploration School, Inc.
- Freud Pizenberg Independent Advisors
- Galatea Associates
- Gartner Inc
- German-American Exchange Inc.
- GFI Group
- Google, Inc.
- Gray Panthers
- Guidepoint Global, LLC
- Heidrick & Struggles
- Henry's Fork Foundation
- Highland Park - Highwood Legal Aid Clinic
- HubSpot, Inc.
- Ikaso Consulting, LLC
- Important, Not Important
- Jefferies LLC
- Kantar Consulting
- Kaufman Development
- LEK Consulting
- M&T Bank Corporation
- Macquarie Capital Inc.
- Major League Baseball
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Maverick Real Estate Partners
- Mediators Beyond Borders International
- Morgan Partners LLC
- Morgan Stanley
- National Economic Research Associates, Inc.
- Nationwide Insurance
- NBCUniversal, Inc.
- NBT Bancorp, Inc.
- New York Mets
- Nomura Holding America Inc.
- Northwell Health, Inc.
- Northwestern Mutual Financial Network, The Greater New York Group - Utica
- NY Green Bank, Division of NYSERDA
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- Office of the New York State Attorney General
- Onward Israel
- Overland Summer Camps, Inc.
- Park Square Executive Search
- Peace Corps
- PitchBook Data
- Publicis Healthcare Communications Group
- Quadrant Real Estate Advisors LLC
- Raider Hill Advisors, LLC
- Repair Association
- Revlon, Inc.
- RF Binder Partners Inc.
- Rockefeller Capital Management
- Roux Associates
- Russell Tobin & Associates
- Samsung Electronics America
- Seurat Group
- ShopCore Properties
- SL Green Realty
- Slater Brothers Entertainment
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Spectrum Equity
- Spencer Stuart & Associates, Inc.
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Standard Insurance Company
- Success Academy Charter Schools
- Teach For America
- The American Enterprise Institute
- The Boston Consulting Group
- The Bozzuto Group
- The Cadmus Group Inc.
- The Colony Group
- The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
- The MicroDreams Foundation, Inc.
- The New England Center for Children, Inc.
- Theatre Communications Group
- Third Estate Ventures
- UBS Financial Services, Inc.
- United States Army National Guard
- United States Marine Corps
- VA New Jersey Health Care System
- Vanderbilt Summer Business Institute
- Venture for America
- Vertex Global Tax Solutions
- VMG Partners
- Westchester County District Attorney's Office
- Willis Towers Watson
- Women's Association of Venture and Equity
- Ziff Properties, Inc
- Zipcar, Inc.
- ZS Associates