Career Services is committed to engaging students early and often through all stages of career development — exploration, planning, reflection, and decision-making.
Mission of Career Services
Leveraging the Colgate network, Colgate Career Services empowers Colgate students and alumni to engage in strategic exploration, preparation, and action — translating the liberal arts into a lifetime of meaningful work.
Fulfilling the Mission
Colgate Career Services fulfills its mission through:
Career advisors are adept in helping students discover a sense of self and purpose, even when starting from scratch. Once pinpointed, students consult with career advisors savvy in a particular industry, learning the best strategies for career success.
Our advisors conduct research, attend professional conferences, and network with faculty, employers, and alumni partners to stay current on industry trends.
We employ multiple strategies to cultivate and maintain relationships with providers of diverse post-graduate opportunities. Our online internship and job platform, Colgate Handshake, hosts Colgate Premier employment opportunities specifically targeting Colgate students.
Colgate’s membership in select recruiting consortia expands our geographic offerings and broadens our network of employer partners. The following options can complement the partnerships employers form with Colgate to provide additional and efficient recruiting options aimed at the nation’s top liberal arts students.
- Career and Internship Connection (CIC): Attend our career fair and/or conduct pre-selected interviews in Boston, Los Angeles, NYC, and Washington, D.C. over students’ January break.
- Summer on the Cuyahoga (SOTC): Paid internships, alumni networking, and community housing offered as part of an economic development program in Cleveland.
Partnering with Faculty
For successful outcomes it is vital that Colgate Career Services work together with faculty in providing students with guidance as they prepare for their lives as college graduates.
What You Can Do
In addition to sharing your own insights, please refer students to Colgate Career Services should they inquire with you about general career or industry-specific questions. We are able to assist students in:
- Clarifying career and academic interests utilizing career assessments.
- Developing job and internship search strategies.
- Writing basic or targeted resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
- The process of applying to graduate or professional schools, including standardized testing.
- Preparing for employment interviews.
- Identifying career resources for special populations: students of color, LGBTQ, veterans, international students, etc.
- Funding to support unpaid or underpaid experiential opportunities.
- Receiving academic credit for internships where credit is required.
We ask that the faculty please share any internship or full-time opportunities sent by employers, parents, or former students, as well as student worker positions you have submitted to the Portal. We post these positions to Colgate Handshake where it will receive maximum student exposure. Just e-mail us the description.
We are always considering new ways to reach out to and engage with faculty across campus. If you have ideas of new ways we might collaborate with you or adjust our current practices, please contact us at email@example.com.
What We Can Do
One way to help students connect their academic work at Colgate to their plans for life after graduation is to collaborate with Career Services for an in-class presentation tailored to the students in class. A 15-45 minute presentation or workshop in class may be a productive and educational opportunity at a time when your own schedule may require you to cancel class or have a late arrival/early departure.
Colgate Career Services staff is also available to attend departmental meetings to share current initiatives in career services, provide an overview of services and opportunities, and to collaborate with the department to best meet the needs of students.
Available Subject Matter
Here are a few possible topics we are prepared to present:
- How to prepare study group participants for their internship placements and applying for summer internships from off-campus.
- What can I do/What have Colgate alumni done with a particular major?
- Using Career Assessments to discern interests, values, and career direction.
- Preparing application materials – targeting resumes and cover letters.
- Personal statement preparation for graduate school admission.
- A general overview of Career Services.
To schedule, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Services has funds designated to collaborate with faculty on events designed to expose students to diverse career paths. We also entertain proposals from students to subsidize career-oriented conference registration fees.
Funds are limited, so connect with Colgate Career Services as early as possible to take advantage of these resources.
Colgate Career Services tracks students’ summer and first post-graduate outcomes and can provide department-specific data to aid your work with current students—especially those who seek clarity on what to do with a certain major.
Members of the faculty are welcome to attend on-campus career events, including employer information sessions, to learn more about their interests and processes. Many of our employers seek access to the faculty, and many sometimes members of the faculty will invite the contacts they make with employers or graduate programs into classroom or student organization settings for informational purposes.
If this is something in which you are interested, please contact Recruiting & Employer Relations.
Colgate Premier Employers, 2019–20
Colgate worked with the following employers during the 2019–20 academic year to pair students with post-graduation career opportunities.
- Abernathy MacGregor
- Accelerator - Vanderbilt Summer Business Institute
- Advantage Capital
- AGC Partners
- AIM Group
- All of Us Research Program
- Almo Corporation
- American Bar Foundation
- Apogee Adventures
- Artisan Healthcare Consulting
- Avon Products
- Bank of America
- Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon)
- Barclay Damon LLP
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- BNP Paribas
- Bob Woodruff Foundation
- Boston Consulting Group
- Cadent Consulting Group
- Cantor Fitzgerald
- Capgemini America Inc.
- Carlisle & Company
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates
- Cato Institute
- CFES Brilliant Pathways
- Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
- Chimera Securities LLC
- Close Concerns
- Cogo Labs
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Communication Science, Inc. - Care Kits
- Continuum Partners International
- Creative Expansions, Inc.
- Crossix Solutions, Inc.
- Department of Homeland Security (Newark and Elizabeth, NJ Offices)
- dQ&A Market Research Inc.
- Eastover OB/Gyn at Atrium Health
- Eaton Vance
- Econometrica, Inc.
- EF Education First
- ENODO Global, Inc.
- EY LLP
- Fidelity Investments
- FPIA Partners LLC
- German American Exchange Inc.
- GFI Group Inc
- Goldman Sachs
- Gray Panthers
- Hanover Research
- Harvard Business School Online
- Heidrick & Struggles International, Inc
- Henry's Fork Foundation
- Hunter Douglas Metals
- ICSC (International Council of Shopping Centers)
- iD Tech
- Ikaso Consulting
- Independent Filmmaker Project
- Jefferies, LLC
- Jennison Associates
- Kroll Bond Rating Agency
- L.E.K. Consulting
- LLR Partners
- Loose Cannons Inc.
- Lord, Abbett & Co. LLC
- M&T Bank
- Macedon Technologies
- Maia Yogurt
- Major League Baseball
- Maverick Real Estate Partners
- Maytech Global Investments
- McKinsey & Company
- Medalist Partners
- Mediators Beyond Borders International
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Morgan Partners
- Morgan Stanley
- Nace Partners
- National Geographic Society
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- NBT Bank
- Nomura Securities International (Americas Region)
- North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic
- Northeastern University, Graduate Programs
- Northwell Health
- Notch Partners, LLC
- NY Green Bank
- NYS Department of Health
- NYU Teacher Residency
- Offen Petroleum
- Opentrons Labworks Inc.
- Overland Summers
- Oxeon Partners
- Park Square Executive Search
- Partnership for Public Service
- Peace Corps
- Perry Warren for State Representative Campaign Committee
- Piper Sandler
- Prosek Partners
- PVE, LLC
- RBC Capital Markets
- Red Ventures
- Regional Economic Models, Inc.
- Riggs Cooper Art Partners
- Rockefeller Capital Management
- Roux Associates, Inc.
- Seurat Group LLC
- Shea & Company
- Spectrum Equity
- Spencer Stuart
- Standard Chartered Bank
- StepStone Group LP
- Success Academy Charter Schools (NY)
- Summer on the Cuyahoga - SOTC
- Teach For America
- The Bozzuto Group
- The Brookings Institution
- The Colony Group
- The D. E. Shaw Group
- The Delaware River Club
- The diaTribe Foundation
- The Glimmerglass Festival
- The Hartford
- The Museum of Modern Art
- The New England Center for Children
- The New York Times
- The Orchard
- Theatre Communications Group (TCG)
- Third Bridge
- Tinder, Inc.
- Tuck Business Bridge Program
- Tufts Medical Center
- U.S. Census Bureau, New York Regional Census Center
- Under Armour
- VA New Jersey Health Care System
- Venture For America
- Voices of September 11th
- Weber Shandwick
- Weill Cornell Medicine
- Westchester County District Attorney
- What Got You There Podcast
- Whitney Museum of American Art
- Women's Association of Venture & Equity
- Yale Social and Affective Neuroscience of Autism Lab
- ZS Associates