Colgate Domains provides faculty with hosted space on the web and digital tools for creating websites. Colgate Domains provides access to various platforms for web publishing (WordPress, Omeka, Scalar, etc.) in support of connected learning and innovative approaches to teaching, scholarship, and creative work.
What can you do with Colgate Domains?
- Establish a digital academic identity on the web
- Create a professional site that showcases your current research curriculum vitae
- Set up a blog to document the progress of a research project
- Design a website for your research lab
- Support connected learning in your courses
- Enable students to publish and share their work for audiences beyond Colgate
- Create your own course site to distribute course materials to students
- Use blogging as a way for students to make their thinking visible and to link their thinking to sources across the web
- Experiment with digital tools to support alternative forms of academic publishing
How It Works
Faculty will be provided with a URL (username.colgate.domains) and a cPanel account that they can use to install and manage web applications in their Domain, including:
- WordPress: An open-source content management system for blogging and website creation.
- Omeka: An open-source platform for creating digital archives and scholarly collections
- Scalar: An open source platform for publishing long-form, non-linear digital scholarship publications that can integrate a variety of digital media
- Media Wiki: The software that powers Wikipedia and online databases
- Additional web applications are also available for managing content, building online communities and storing photos and files.
Support for Colgate Domains
Instructional designers can provide:
- Consultation on website design for individual professional sites, course sites, or blogs
- Assignment and activity design for course projects using Colgate Domains
- Scalar: Training in WordPress
- Example assignments and curated resources for connected learning and digital pedagogy
- Sample formative assessments to collect learner feedback
Request a Site
If you are interested in exploring Colgate Domains, please contact our Instructional Designer for Connected Learning:
Ask for Help
If you are unable to find the information you need in the documentation available online, the ITS Service Desk is available to assist.