For personal and network security, Colgate requires that any computer connecting to our network have up-to-date antivirus software installed.
Recommended Antivirus Software
All computers, including Macs and smartphones, are susceptible to viruses and malware, and Colgate requires that all such devices connecting to the campus network have up-to-date antivirus software installed.
The following vendors supply free antivirus for students and home use:
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition
- Clam AntiVirus (Open Source for Linux, BSD, and others)
- avast! Avast Free Antivirus
- AVG Free Antivirus
There are also many paid versions of antivirus software including:
If You May Have a Virus
Antivirus software is imperfect. While it is uncommon to get infected using a computer with the latest patches, updates, and signatures, it could still happen. If you suspect your computer may be infected with malware, scan your system with one or more of the following tools:
Antivirus Software's Performance Impact
Some antivirus packages can slow performance when configured improperly. To configure your antivirus software properly and improve performance:
- Never run more than one antivirus package on your computer at the same time.
- Configure your antivirus to run a full scan of your hard drive on odd hours when you are not using your computer.
- Colgate runs antivirus on its servers— you do not need to configure your antivirus to scan your Netstore drives.
- If you use VMWare, VirtualBox, or another VM product, configure "on-access" scanning to avoid directories which store your virtual hard disk.
- If you are a heavy user of graphic, movie, or audio editing software, configure your "on-access" scanning to avoid directories where your projects are stored.
- Always keep your antivirus software updated.
Ask for Help
If you are unable to find the information you need in the documentation available online, the ITS Service Desk is available to assist.
Walk-in service is by appointment only.
Due to high volume, our ticket tracking service is the only way to ensure we respond in a timely manner to your questions. Thank you for your patience.