All Students Welcome
Here at the counseling center, we are trained to help students manage a wide array of emotions. We meet with nearly half the student body for clinical services at some point during their four years at Colgate.
During this COVID-10 pandemic, Counseling and Psychological Services has remained available and adjusted our services to ensure the health and safety of our Colgate community. The counseling center is pleased to offer matriculated students the following services via telehealth during the academic year:
- Telehealth counseling sessions for students within the state of NY
- Individual consultations for students outside of NY
- Online group therapy
- 24/7 consultation/crisis services for risk assessment and support, and referral to the appropriate level of care in their local community
- To schedule a telehealth or Haven session, please contact our office at 315-228-7385, or complete this Appointment Request Form. Note: If you are on campus you must be connected to eduroam or colgate wireless to complete the forms. If you are off campus, please connect to the GlobalConnect VPN.
- To join an online group, let the office manager know you are interested in a group when you call the office or complete the Appointment Request form so that you can be scheduled for a pre-group meeting with the group leader.
- You will receive a Zoom link by email the day of your appointment.
- 15 minutes prior to your appointment, please complete your Check-In Forms.
- Sign into the provided Zoom link at the time of your appointment and you will enter the Zoom waiting room, notifying your counselor that you have arrived.
- Your counselor will connect to the Zoom call to begin your session.
- You will receive a Zoom link by email before your appointment.
- Please make sure to complete the check-in forms and informed consent about 15 minutes prior to your appointment
- Log into Zoom 5 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to ensure everything works.
- At the beginning of your appointment, your counselor will verify your location, as well as your phone number in case the connection is lost.
- A typical telehealth session will last 45 minutes. You and your counselor will mutually determine a treatment plan moving forward.
If you are unable to secure private space for your appointment, please first try to ask your roommate if they are willing to step out or you may choose to schedule during outdoor time. If you still cannot find a private space on your own, notify your counselor prior to your appointment so that they can help you find you an appropriate location.
- If you have an urgent mental health concern and want to speak with a counselor for a same-day appointment, please call the counseling center at 315-228-7385, Monday through Friday between 1:30-4:30.
- To speak with the counselor during Crisis/Consultation Hours, call the counseling center at 315-228-7385 and indicate that you would like to use the Crisis Hours. You will be asked a few questions including your name, phone number, location, and your current safety. The counselor will be provided your information and will call you back on the phone number provided shortly. Crisis hours are first come, first served, and the office manager will alert you if there will be a wait because the counselor is assisting other students.
- There is always a counselor on-call available to respond to a mental health emergency such as safety concerns. In the event of a mental health emergency, call the counseling center at 315-228-7385. If you are calling after business hour end at 4:30pm, please select prompt #2 to be connected to the counselor on-call.