All Students Welcome
Here at the counseling center, we are trained to help students manage a wide array of emotions. We meet with nearly half the student body for clinical services at some point during their four years at Colgate.
Our colleagues at ALANA recently shared the message below with the Colgate community. We would like to stand in solidarity with them as we join in posting this important message.
Throughout the past year in our COVID-19 pandemic state, and notably in the past few weeks, our country continues to witness and experience a rise in anti-Asian racism and violence. The ALANA Cultural Center and its team condemn these acts of hate and stand in solidarity with our Asian and Asian American community members against racism in all its forms. We understand that we all have a role to play in fostering and promoting an equitable and just society for all.
The ALANA Cultural Center is committed to creating and maintaining an equitable and inclusive climate that is free from harassment and discrimination for all members of our community. Our Asian and Asian American communities are vital threads of the Colgate University fabric, contributing greatly to our enrichening, multicultural experience and excellence. The Center believes that our racial diversity is our strength, and it is crucial that everyone feel safe and supported here at Colgate University.
In acknowledgement of the significant disruption and violence in the United States Capitol yesterday, Counseling & Psychological Services extends our support to all those affected. These violent actions impact many Colgate students, and we recognize that direct or indirect exposure to such events is troubling and can be traumatizing. You may experience a number of emotional reactions as a result.
If you would like to schedule a consultation to talk to a counselor, please call our office at 315-228-7385 during business hours. If you call after hours, or on weekends, you will be directed about how to reach a counselor-on-call through our voicemail (press #2 when prompted) .
During this COVID-10 pandemic, Counseling and Psychological Services has remained available and adjusted our services to ensure the health and safety of our Colgate community. The counseling center is pleased to offer matriculated students the following services via telehealth during the academic year:
- Telehealth counseling sessions for students within the state of NY
- Individual consultations for students outside of NY
- Online group therapy
- 24/7 consultation/crisis services for risk assessment and support, and referral to the appropriate level of care in their local community
- If you are inquiring about summer services/consultations, please call the office at 315-228-7385.
- You will receive a Zoom link by email before your appointment.
- Please make sure to complete the check-in forms and informed consent about 15 minutes prior to your appointment
- Log into Zoom 5 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to ensure everything works.
- At the beginning of your appointment, your counselor will verify your location, as well as your phone number in case the connection is lost.
- A typical telehealth session will last 45 minutes. You and your counselor will mutually determine a treatment plan moving forward.
If you would like to utilize a private space on-campus for your scheduled telehealth counseling appointments, you may reserve a room online here. During the initial gates, students should reserve privacy spaces within their residential areas. If there are no spaces in your residential building, we encourage students to talk with their roommates about finding private times. If that's not possible, please contact your therapist for other options.
If you're curious about whether counseling could be beneficial for you, or just interested in understanding more about yourself, take a few minutes and complete this anonymous mental health screening.
- If you have an urgent mental health concern and want to speak with a counselor for a same-day appointment, please call the counseling center at 315-228-7385, Monday through Friday between 1:30-4:30.
- To speak with the counselor during Crisis/Consultation Hours, call the counseling center at 315-228-7385 and indicate that you would like to use the Crisis Hours. You will be asked a few questions including your name, phone number, location, and your current safety. The counselor will be provided your information and will call you back on the phone number provided shortly. Crisis hours are first come, first served, and the office manager will alert you if there will be a wait because the counselor is assisting other students.
- There is always a counselor on-call available to respond to a mental health emergency such as safety concerns. In the event of a mental health emergency, call the counseling center at 315-228-7385. If you are calling after business hour end at 4:30pm, please select prompt #2 to be connected to the counselor on-call.