This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2021-22.
The minor in MIST consists of five courses: a MIST-related Core Communities and Identities course ( CORE 183C - The Middle East or CORE 170C - Islamic North Africa) and four electives. Of these four, two courses must be chosen from among two of the three groups (Groups A, B, and C). The remaining two courses may be chosen from these groups or from the list of affiliated electives. No more than two courses from any one group may count toward the minor. Arabic and Hebrew language courses are considered affiliated electives; students may count one language course toward the minor. Two courses from transfer credit may be applied to the minor.
Group A: Arts and Humanities
- ARTS 210 - Contemporary Art and Politics in the Middle East
- ARTS 244 - Housing the Sacred in Ancient India (AH)
- ARTS 245 - Palaces and Paintings of India (AH)
- FREN 453 - Contemporary Literature in French
- FREN 455 - Francophone Voices from North Africa
- MIST 214/RELG 214 Muhammad and the Qur'an
- RELG 234 - Women and Religious Traditions
- RELG 282 - Islamic Traditions
- RELG 329 - Modern Islamic Thought
Group B: Historical Perspectives
- HIST 105 - Introduction to the Modern Middle East (ME)
- HIST 232 - The Crusades (EU) (with permission of instructor)
- HIST 255 - The Ottoman Empire, 1300 - 1924 (TR)
- HIST 263 - Cities of the Silk Road (TR)
- HIST 269 - History of Modern India (AS)
- HIST 385 - Darfur in Historical Perspective (AF)
Group C: Social Sciences
- CORE 154C - Indonesia
- EDUC 246 - Forced Migration and Education
- EDUC 308 - Global Anthropologies of Education
- MIST 215/POSC 215 Comparative Politics: Middle East (CO)
- MIST 252/ANTH 252 Muslim Societies in Motion
- MIST 304/POSC 304 Islam and Politics
- MIST 305/GEOG 305 Geopolitics of the Middle East
- MIST 253 - Aspects of Contemporary Arab Societies: Morocco (Extended Study)
One ARAB or HEBR course, at most, may count as an affiliated elective.
Additional term-specific course offerings may be accepted, with MIST program director's approval.
Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies Program
For more information about the department, including Faculty, transfer credit, awards, etc., please visit the Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies program catalogue page.