This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2021-22.
Advisory Committee Barreto (Director), Hill, Humphrey, Julien, Krahmer, Kuan, Loe, Maitra, Rugg, Sanya, Simonson, Spring, Sprock, Stern, J. Tomlinson, Valente, Woolley
The affiliated minor in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer studies (LGBT) examines the lives and representations of individuals and groups considered sexual minorities, as well as the various forces that have affected them across cultures and throughout time. Sexuality offers a critical lens to analyze communities, cultures, and subcultures; institutions, discourses, and literatures; economic and political movements; the social construction of power, status, and hierarchies; and identity categories configured on the basis of age, ability, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and religion. Moreover, sexuality is considered as the subject of biological, medical, and psychological research. LGBT studies is an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary minor that emphasizes the application of new theories and methodologies (e.g., queer, feminist, critical race, and multicultural theories) to established disciplines as it promotes the generation of new knowledge within traditional fields. Through the minor, students gain critical understandings of normative categorization, query unspoken assumptions, examine social stratification and distributions of power, and explore the diversity of forms that sexuality has taken historically and in contemporary contexts.
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies Award for Academic Excellence, in honor of Marilyn Thie — awarded by the program to a senior, on the basis of completion of the minor or three or more courses, a GPA of 3.30 or higher, and significant scholarly achievement in LGBTQ studies.
The Ken Valente Award for Leadership in LGBTQ Studies and Community, in honor of Ken Valente — awarded by the program to a senior who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in LGBTQ studies and community.
Use the minor link below to find courses that count toward the LGBT minor requirements.
Majors and Minors
- LGBT 220 - Lives, Communities, and Modes of Critical Inquiry: An Exploration into LGBTQ Studies
- LGBT 227 - Machismo & the Latin Lover
- LGBT 241 - Queering Education
- LGBT 242 - Religions of Resistance: Gender, Sexuality and Performance in the Caribbean
- LGBT 303 - Queer Identities and Global Discourses
- LGBT 310 - Imagining Queer Caribbean Futures
- LGBT 340 - Rural Sexualities and Genders
- LGBT 350 - Sexuality, Gender, and the Law
- LGBT 355 - Partners and Crime: Queer Outlaws in Literature and Film
- LGBT 391 - Independent Study
- LGBT 491 - Independent Study