This information is part of the Colgate University catalog, 2023-24.
The secondary education certification program is offered at the undergraduate and MAT levels. In both the MAT and undergraduate programs, certification is available in English, history, mathematics, chemistry, biology, earth science, and physics. The program combines a major in one of these chosen academic fields with courses in educational theory and practice. Students who complete the program will have a strong background in teacher education and a New York State approved major from a department on campus.
Students should begin the certification program as early as possible. Students should formally apply to the program by November 1 of their sophomore year, and it is strongly recommended that they apply during their first year at Colgate. Students must reserve the fall term of their senior year for student teaching, teaching seminars, and an advanced course on the diagnosis and remediation of reading problems. Students are required to formally apply to the graduate level program by February 1 of their senior year.
For more information visit the educational studies department page.
Education as a Social Institution
Social and Cultural Diversity in Schooling, Teaching, and Learning
The Nature of Childhood Education and Development
All of the courses from The Nature of Childhood Education and Development
Professional Student Teaching Semester
All of the following:
- EDUC 454 - Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Problems
- EDUC 455 - Student Teaching
- EDUC 456 - Dignity in Schools
And One of the Following Depending on Topic Area of Certification:
- EDUC 451 - Seminar on Curriculum and Instruction in English/Social Studies
- EDUC 453 - Seminar on Curriculum and Instruction in Science/Mathematics
- Fieldwork — 100 hours prior to student teaching
- Child abuse workshop (two hours of training in the identification of suspected child abuse/maltreatment)
- Violence intervention and prevention workshop