April Sweeney is an actor and theater maker originally from Dallas, Texas. She holds a bachelor of fine arts in acting from Marymount Manhattan College and a master of fine arts in acting from Columbia University. She has performed internationally in theaters and festivals in Argentina, Belgium, Bolivia, Colombia, France, Ireland, Hungary, and the United Kingdom. In the United States she has performed in regional theater, a national tour, off-Broadway and downtown New York theater over the past decade.
Ms. Sweeney has taught a number of master classes and workshops throughout Bolivia and Argentina while in residency with Laboratorio Teatral Willaldea. Directing and writing credits include She, and the Empty Living Room at the undergroundzero festival NYC, Atardecer 43, Teatro Comunitaria Villa Traful, Argentina, A Short Play for 3 Spanish Speaking Actresses Stuck in a Cherry Orchard and Contemplations on a 4 Minute Macbethat Laboratorio Teatral WILLALDEA (Buenos Aires), PMURT a performance lecture by Kevin Doyle, Vooruit, Ghent, Belgium.
At Colgate University Erin Courtney's Map of Virtue, Federico León's 1500 Meter's Above Jack's Level, Melody Bates' R & J & Z and several TYA works PUNCHjudyJUDYpunch, They Say Her Name is Alice, Wald, a wondertale and an adaptation of Kate DiCamillio's Flora and Ulysses.
Projects in development include Expanse of the Hudson River as Painted by Thomas Cole (an adaptation of Djuna Barnes' first novel Ryder), a project based on the work of Manuel Puig, translations of two works by Romina Paula.
Selected performance projects include:
- At Black Lake, The TANK, New York City, 2019
- Distancia, 13th Festival de las Artes [FIA], San Juan, Costa Rica, 2017
- Witness (LONEtheater), Matías Umpierrez and BOOM Arts, Portland, OR 2016
- The Irresistible, Immersive Gallery, Williamsburg, NY 2015
- Distancia, Festival Internacional de Teatro de Manizales, Colombia 2014
- Witness (LONEtheater), undergroundzero festival, NYC 2014
- Any Other Normal a film by Brok Labrenz 2014, Sydney World Film Festival 2015, Swedish International Film Festival 2016, Hamilton International Film Festival 2016
- Distancia, Festival Internacional de Buenos Aires [FIBA] and Teatro San Martín 2013
- The World is Round is Round is Round, The Mill, Albany, NY 2013
- The Good Person of Szechwan, Columbia Stages 2012
- Orchardless: Decay of Cities, New Orleans Fringe Festival 2012
- The Rover, New York Classical Theater 2011
- Bellona, Destroyer of Cities, Kitchen, NYC 2010
- Untitled Mars (This Title May Change), Performance Space 122; National Theater of Hungary, Budapest 2008
- This Place is a Desert, ICA Boston; Under the Radar Festival/Public Theater 2008
- Women Dreamt Horses, BAIT/Buenos Aires in Translation Festival Performance Space 122 2006
- Streetcar Named Desire, National Tour Montana Repertory Theater 2004
- Grapes of Wrath at the Arkansas Repertory Theater 2000
The above work has been written about in Theater Heute, ARetez Revista de les Artes Escénicas, La Nación, Tiempo Argentino, American Theater Magazine, The New York Times, The New Yorker, and Time Out NY.
Sweeney, April. “The Flight of the Golden Falcon by Anna Correa.” Analola Santana and Jimmy A. Noriega (Ed.), (Re)Positioning the Latina/o Americas: Theatrical Histories and Cartographies of Power. Carbondale, Illinois: Southern Illinois University Press. 2018.
Sweeney, April and Werth, Brenda, (eds). Fauna and other plays by Romnina Paula. Translated by Jean Graham Jones, April Sweeney and Brenda Werth. Chicago, Illinois: Seagull Books, University of Chicago Press. (forthcoming 2021).
-Distancia by Matías Umpierrez, co-translated with Patricia Masera
2017 Festival Internacional de las Artes, San Juan, Costa Rica
2014 Festival Internacional de Teatro de Manizales, Manizales, Columbia
2013 FIBA and Teatro San Martín, Buenos Aires
- WITNESS (LONEtheater) by Matías Umpierrez
2014 undergroundzero festival NYC
- FAR (LONEtheater) by Umpierrez, co-translated with Ben Mandell
2014 undergroundzero festival, NYC
-1500 Meter's Above Jack's Level by Federico León, co-translated with Brenda Werth
Colgate University Theater production, 2010
BFA, Marymount Manhattan College, 1995; MFA in Acting, Columbia University, 2000
- Colgate University, Associate Professor, 2012-present
- Colgate University, Assistant Professor, 2006-present
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Guest Artist, 2005
- Puerto Villaroel, Chapare, Bolivia, Artist in Residence, 2005
- Casa de Cultura, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia-Artist in Residence, 2005
2018 National Endowment of the Arts Literature Translations Collaboration Fellowship
with Brenda Werth for the translation of Fauna into English by Argentine playwright
2015 National Endowment of the Humanities Summer Fellowship
Latin American Theater Summer Seminar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Acting, Movement for Actors, Improvisation, Live Hybrid Theater/Cinema, Argentine Contemporary Theater, Theater in Translation
-THTR 254 Basic Acting
-THTR 257 Performance I
-THTR 259 Children's Theater Workshop
-THTR 353 Theater, Play and Improvisation
-THTR 355 Advanced Acting
-THTR 357 Performance II
-THTR 363 Narrative Improvisation and Storytelling
-CORE 152 Challenges of Modernity