Research in my laboratory is focused on the elucidation of the structure and catalytic mechanism of enzymes. Resource guides in protein engineering and in protein X-ray crystallography document key methodologies in use by our laboratory and are suitable for faculty and/or undergraduate student training and consultation.
- BS (Biochemistry), University of Alabama, 1976
- PhD (Chemistry), University of Alabama, 1981
Biophysical chemistry: enzyme kinetics, X-ray crystallography, protein engineering
- Analytical chemistry
- General chemistry
- Enzymology: the isolation, purification, and characterization of enzymes, especially experimental kinetics
- Protein engineering: the specific alteration of enzyme structure using recombinant DNA methods
- X-ray crystallography: the determination of three-dimensional protein structures from X-ray diffraction by single protein crystals.
- Margaret M. Suhanovsky, Kelly Sheppard, and Roger S. Rowlett (2014) “Beta-carbonic anhydrases: general features and medical implications,” in Carbonic Anhydrases as Biocatalysts: from Theory to Medical to Industrial Applications, G. De Simone and C. T. Supuran, eds., (2015) pp. 248-273, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Katherine M. Hoffmann, H. Rachael Million-Perez*, Richard Merkhofer*, Hillary Nicholson* and Roger S. Rowlett, “The Allosteric Reversion of Haemophilus influenzae β-Carbonic Anhydrase via a Proline Shift,” Biochemistry 2015, 54, 598-611. DOI: 10.1021/bi501116e
- Charlotte de Araujo, Dewan Arefeen, Yohannes Tadesse, Benedict M. Long, G. Dean Price, Roger S. Rowlett, Matthew S. Kimber and George S. Espie, "Identification and characterization of a carboxysomal gamma-carbonic anhydrase from the cyanobacterium Nostoc sp. PCC 7120," Photosynth. Research 2014, 121, 131-150. DOI: 10.1007/s11120-014-0018-4
- Roger S. Rowlett (2013) "Structure and Catalytic Mechanism of the ß-Carbonic Anhydrases," in Carbonic Anhydrase: Mechanism, Regulation, Links to Disease, and Industrial Applications, Susan Frost & Rob McKenna, eds., Springer-Verlag, in press.
- Roger S. Rowlett, (2013) “Research Grants and Grantsmanship,” in How to Get Started in STEM Research with Undergraduates, Merle Schuh, ed., Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington DC.
- Roger S. Rowlett, (2013) “Training and Information Management in the Undergraduate Research Laboratory,” in How to Get Started in STEM Research with Undergraduates, Merle Schuh, ed., Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Linda Blockus, and Susan Larson (2012) "Characteristics of Excellence in Undergraduate Research (COEUR)", in Characteristics of Excellence in Undergraduate Research, Nancy Hensel, ed., Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC.
- Virginia A. Kincaid, Eric D. Sullivan, Roger D. Klein, Roger S. Rowlett, and Mark J. Snider§, “Structure and Catalytic Mechanism of Vitamin B3 Degradative Enzyme Maleamate Amidohydrolase from Bordetella Bronchiseptica RB50,” Biochemistry 2012, 51, 545-554.
- Katherine M. Hoffmann, Dejan Samardzic*, Katherine van den Heever*, and Roger S. Rowlett,§, "Co(II)-substituted Haemophilus influenzae β-carbonic anhydrase: spectral evidence for allosteric regulation by pH and bicarbonate ion," Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 2011, 511, 80-87.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Katherine M. Hoffmann, Hannah Failing*, Margaret Mysliwiec*, and Dejan Samardzic*, "Evidence for a Bicarbonate 'Escort' Site in Haemophilus influenzae β-Carbonic Anhydrase," Biochemistry, 2010, 49, 3640-3647.
- Sarah L. Binkley, Christopher J. Ziegler, Richard S. Herrick, and Roger S. Rowlett, “Specific Derivitization of Lysozyme in Aqueous Solution with a Rhenium(I) Tricarbonyl Fragment,” Chem. Comm., 2010, 46, 1203-1205. (Inside cover article)
- Roger S. Rowlett, "Structure and Catalytic Mechanism of the ß-Carbonic Anhydrases," Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 2010, 1804, 362-373.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Chingkuang Tu, Joseph Lee*, Ariel G. Herman*, Douglas A. Chapnick*, Shalini H. Shah*, and Peter C. Gareiss*, “Allosteric Site Variants of Haemophilus influenzae ß-Carbonic Anhydrase,” Biochemistry, 2009, 48, 6146-6156.
- Jeff D. Cronk, Roger S. Rowlett, Kam Y. J. Zhang, Chingkuang Tu, James A. Endrizzi, Joseph Lee,* Peter C. Gareiss,* and Jeffrey R. Preiss,* "Identification of a novel non-catalytic bicarbonate binding site in eubacterial ß-carbonic anhydrase," Biochemistry, 2006, 4351-4361.
- Daniel Clark, Roger S. Rowlett, John R. Coleman, and Daniel F. Klessig, "Complementation of the yeast deletion mutant del-NCE103 by members of the ß class of carbonic anhydrases is dependent on carbonic anhydrase activity rather than on antioxidant activity," Biochem. J., 2004, 379, 609-615.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Chingkuang Tu, Paul S. Murray,* and Joy E. Chamberlin,* "Examination of the role of Gln-158 in the Mechanism of CO2 Hydration Catalyzed by ß-Carbonic Anhydrase from Arabidopsis thaliana," Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 2004, 425, 25-32. (Cover article)
- Roger S. Rowlett, “Elements of a Competitive NIH-AREA proposal,” Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 2004, 24, 120-124.
- Chingkuang Tu, Roger S. Rowlett, Brian C. Tripp, James G. Ferry, and David N. Silverman, "Chemical Rescue of Proton Transfer in Catalysis by Carbonic Anhydrases in the ß- and ?-Class," Biochemistry, 2002, 41, 15429-15435.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Chingkuang Tu, Melissa M. McKay,* Jeffrey R. Preiss,* Rebecca J. Loomis,* Katherine A. Hicks,* Robb J. Marchione,* Jacob A. Strong,* George S. Donovan, Jr.,* and Joy E. Chamberlin,* "Kinetic Characterization of Wild-Type and Proton Transfer-Impaired Variants of ß-Carbonic Anhydrase from Arabidopsis thaliana," Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 2002, 404, 197-209.
- Kwang-Hwan Jhee, Li-Hong Yang, S. Ashraf Ahmed, Peter McPhie, Roger Rowlett, and Edith Wilson Miles, "Mutation of an Active Site Residue of Tryptophan Synthase ßS377 Alters Cofactor Chemistry," J. Biol. Chem., 1998, 273, 11417-11422.
- C. Larry Bering, Jennifer S. Kuhns, and Roger S. Rowlett, "Purification of Bovine Carbonic Anhydrase by Affinity Chromatography: An Undergraduate Biochemistry Laboratory Experiment," J. Chem. Ed., 1998, 75, 1021-1024.
- Roger Rowlett, Lihong Yang, S. Ashraf Ahmed, Peter McPhie, Kwang-Hwan Jhee, and Edith W. Miles, "Mutations in the Contact Region between the a and ß Subunits of Tryptophan Synthase alter Subunit Interaction and Intersubunit Communication," Biochemistry, 1998, 37, 2961-2968.
- Roger S. Rowlett, Mark R. Chance, Michael D. Wirt, Dean E. Sidelinger, Jill R. Royal,* Melanie Woodroffe,* Ying-Fuh A. Wang,* Rajib P. Saha,* and Michael G. Lam*, "Kinetic and Structural Characterization of Spinach Carbonic Anhydrase," Biochemistry, 1994, 33, 13967-13976.
Asterisks indicate undergraduate student co-authors who conducted their research in collaboration with a faculty member at Colgate.
- Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor, 2011-2017 (Emeritus, 2017-)
- Colgate University Presidential Scholar, 2007-2009
- President, Council on Undergraduate Research, 2015-2016 (served as President-Elect, 2014-2015, Immediate Past President, 2016-2017)
- Councilor, Council on Undergraduate Research, 2003-
- Chair, Program Review Committee, 2011-2014
- Chair, Division of Chemistry, Member of CUR Executive Committee, 2009-2011
- Member, Nominations Vetting Committee, 2008-2010
- Chair-elect, Division of Chemistry, 2007-2009
- Chemistry Consulting Liaison, 2003-2010
- Special volunteer, Section on Molecular Structure, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institute of Health, 2002-2003;
- Special volunteer, Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health 1996-97
- Coordinator of Undergraduate Research, 1994-1996, Colgate University
- Department Chair (1990-1993, 1998, 2001, 2003-2006)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pharmacology, University of Florida College of Medicine 1981-82
- U.S. Curling Association Certified Level II Instructor (Utica Curling Club)
- Colgate University Curling Club Instructor/Coach