Department/Office InformationPhysics and Astronomy
I am a theoretical physicist by training. I began my career as a cosmologist, and then switched as a postdoc into computational neuroscience. I came to Colgate in 2007. My current research concerns the use of techniques from physics, mathematics, and engineering to understand the dynamics of networks of neurons.
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Chicago, 2002
- M.S., Physics, University of Chicago, 2001
- B.S., Physics and Mathematics, College of William and Mary, 1995
Current course names and numberings
|Course #||Course Title||Last Taught|
|FSEM 130||Energy and Sustainability (also as CORE 101)||2017|
|PHYS 131||Atoms and Waves (Recitation and/or Lab)||2015|
|PHYS 232||Introduction to Mechanics (Recitation, Lab, and/or Lecture)||2017|
|PHYS 201||Mathematical Methods of Physics I (MATLAB)||2015|
|PHYS 205||Mathematical Methods of Physics||2016|
|PHYS 334||Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity||2014|
|PHYS 431||Classical Mechanics||2011|
|PHYS 432||Electricity and Magnetism||2016|
|PHYS 451||Computational Mechanics||2016|
|PHYS 456||Relativity and Cosmology||2017|
|PHYS 458||Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos||2016|
*: Colgate student; ^: Colgate faculty
- K. Segall^, M. LeGro*, S. Kaplan, O. Svitelskiy^, S. Khadka*, P. Crotty, D. Schult* (2017) Synchronization dynamics on the picosecond timescale in coupled Josephson junction neurons. Accepted for publication in Physical Review E.
- K. Segall^, S. Guo*, P. Crotty, D. Schult^, M. Miller* (2014) Phase-flip bifurcation in a coupled Josephson junction neuron system. Physica B 455:71-75.
- P. Crotty, E. Lasker*, S. Cheng (2012) Constraints on the synchronization of entorhinal cortex stellate cells. Physical Review E 86:011908.
- P. Crotty, T. Sangrey (2011) Optimization of battery strengths in the Hodgkin-Huxley model. Neurocomputing 74:3843-3854.
- J. Seely*, P. Crotty (2010) Optimization of the leak conductance in the squid giant axon. Physical Review E 82:021906; republished in Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research (15 August 2010).
- P. Crotty, D. Schult^, K. Segall^ (2010) Josephson junction simulation of neurons. Physical Review E 82:011914; republished in Virtual Journal of Applications of Superconductivity (1 August 2010).
- P. Crotty, W. B. Levy (2007) Effects of Na+ channel inactivation kinetics on metabolic energy costs of action potentials. Neurocomputing 70:1652-1656.
- W. B. Levy, T. Sangrey, W. O. Friesen, P. Crotty (2006) Reply to Jurisic and Bezanilla’s Letter to the Editor. Journal of Neurophysiology 96:960.
- P. Crotty, T. Sangrey, W. B. Levy (2006) Metabolic energy cost of action potential velocity. Journal of Neurophysiology 96:1237-1246.
- P. Crotty, W. B. Levy (2006) Intersymbol interference in axonal transmission. Neurocomputing 69:1006-1009.
- P. Crotty, W. B. Levy (2005) Energy-efficient interspike interval codes. Neurocomputing 65:371-378.
- P. Crotty, J. Lesgourgues, S. Pastor (2004) Current cosmological bounds on neutrino masses and relativistic relics. Physical Review D 69:123007.
- P. Crotty, J. Garcia Bellido, J. Lesgourgues, A. Riazuelo (2003) Bounds on isocurvature perturbations from cosmic microwave background radiation and large scale structure data. Physical Review Letters 91:171301.
- J. M. Cline, P. Crotty, J. Lesgourgues (2003) Does the small CMB quadrupole moment suggest new physics? Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics 9:010.
- P. Crotty, J. Lesgourgues, S. Pastor (2003) Measuring the cosmological background of relativistic particles with the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe. Physical Review D 67:123005.
- P. Crotty (2002) High-energy neutrino fluxes from supermassive dark matter. Physical Review D 66:063504.
- J. F. Beacom, P. Crotty, E. W. Kolb (2002) Enhanced signal of astrophysical tau neutrinos propagating through Earth. Physical Review D 66:021302.
- D. J. H. Chung, P. Crotty, E. W. Kolb, A. Riotto (2001) Gravitational production of superheavy dark matter. Physical Review D 64:043503.
- Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy, 2013 - present
Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, 2007 - 2013
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Neurosurgery, 2004 - 2007
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Neurosurgery, 2003 - 2004
- Laboratoire d'Annecy-le-Vieux de Physique Théorique, Annecy, France
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, 2002 - 2003
- KITP Scholar, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of California at Santa Barbara, 2014 - 2016
- Picker Interdisciplinary Science Grant, Colgate University, 2008 - 2010 (with K. Segall and D. Schult)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health, 2004 - 2007
- McCormick Fellowship, Physical Sciences Division, University of Chicago, 1996 - 1998
- James Monroe Scholarship, College of William and Mary, 1991
- National Merit Scholarship, 1991