PhD, Brown University, 2013; MA, Jadavpur University, 2005; BA, Jadavpur University, 2003
Assistant Professor of Global Film and Media, Colgate University, 2014-Present
Visiting Assistant Professor of World Cinema, Hampshire College, 2012-2013
Five College Pre-doctoral Fellow, Hampshire College, 2011-2012
Global film and media; queer theory and visual cultures; psychoanalysis and cultural critique;
Gender and sexuality studies; aesthetics and politics; theories of reading and spectatorship
- Senior Seminar in Film and Media Studies
- Global Media: Flows and Counter-flows
- LGBTQ Cinema in a Transnational Frame
- Sexuality and Visibility
- Global Cinema
- The Documentary Impulse
- Intro to Film and Media Studies
- Language, Power, and Difference: Approaches to Semiotics (Hampshire)
- Introduction to World Cinema (Hampshire)
- Real and Fictive Identities: Ethnicity in Migrant Literature and Cinema (Hampshire)
- Sexuality and Capitalism (Hampshire)
Identity, Mediation, and the Cunning of Capital, forthcoming with Northwestern University Press in spring 2020
Articles/ Book Chapters
"Aberrant Narcissisms in Dolto, Lacan, and Fanon: Notes on a Wounded Imaginary," differences 28.3 (December 2017): 93-135.
“What’s ‘In’?: Disaggregating Asia through New Media Actants,” co-authored with Rey Chow, in RoutledgeHandbook of New Media in Asia, (New York and London: Routledge, 2016), 17-27.
“Touching Hearts: The Uncertain but Strategic Politics of the Fifth Mumbai International Queer Film Festival,”Film Quarterly 69, no. 2 (Winter 2015): 60-65.
“In the Shadow of the Homoglobal: Queer Cosmopolitanism in Tsai Ming-liang’s I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone,” Jindal Global Law Review 4.2 (November 2013): 239-267.
Reprint in New Intimacies/ Old Desires: Law, Culture and Queer Politics in Neoliberal Times, ed. Oishik Sircar and Dipika Jain (Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2017), 317-350.
“Confessions of the (Ethnic) Narcissist: Intermedia in Diaspora,” South Asian Popular Culture 8 (July 2010): 143-162.
Reprint in InterMedia in South Asia: The Fourth Screen, ed. Rajinder Dudrah, Amit Rai, and Anustup Basu(London and New York: Routledge, 2012), 38-57.
“Hearing Queerly: Musings on the Ethics of Disco/sexuality,” Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies25 (June 2011): 375-396.
“Why isn’t Michelle Lopez on Judge Judy?: Citizenship and Televisuality in Hima B.’s And I Do Survive,”Camera Obscura: Feminism, Culture, and Media Studies 25 (2010): 183-195.
“The Flight of the Eunuch: Mapping Homotextualities in South Asian Diaspora Literature,” Anxieties, Influences and After: Critical Responses to Postcolonialism and Neocolonialism, eds. Kaustav Bakshi and Samrat Sengupta (New Delhi: Worldview Publications, 2008), 91-113.
"CNN in North Korea: Liberal Democracy and Ethnonationalism," Counterpunch, December 1, 2017.
“Teaching Devdas and Mirch Masala: Indian Cinemas in the Global Cinema Classroom,” The Cine-Files 9: December 2015.
Glen M. Mimura, Ghostlife of Third Cinema: Asian American Film and Video (Minneapolis and London: U of Minnesota P, 2009) in MELUS: The Society for Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States 36 (Winter 2011): 183-187.
- Research Council Major Grant (Summer 2017)
- Kallgren Teaching-Related Grant (Summer 2016)
- Colgate Arts Council Discretionary Grant (Spring 2015)
- Colgate Research Council Discretionary Grant (Fall 2014)
- Colgate Arts Council Discretionary Grant (Fall 2014)
- Post-doctoral Fellowship at the Institute for Cultural Inquiry, Berlin, 2013-2014 (Declined)
- Five College Pre-doctoral Fellowship, Hampshire College, 2012-2013
- Dissertation Completion Award, Brown University Graduate School, 2012
- Brown-Wheaton Dissertation and Teaching Fellowship, Wheaton College and Brown University, 2012-2013 (Declined)
- Cogut Graduate Fellowship, Cogut Center for the Humanities, Brown University, 2011-2012
- International Conference Travel Award, Office of International Affairs, Brown University, 2011
- Cornell School of Criticism and Theory Fellowship, Cogut Center for the Humanities, 2010
- Pembroke Graduate Fellowship, Pembroke Center for Teaching and Research on Women, Brown University, 2009-2010
- Brown University Graduate Fellowship, 2007-2008
- Graduate Scholarship, Paul Foundation, India, 2007
- CNN International Professional Program Fellowship, Atlanta, 2006