I grew up in Bethlehem, Connecticut, and went on to obtain a BA in 2001 from Drew University, conducting research with Barbara Petrack. After my graduate studies at Yale University under the direction of Robert Crabtree, I earned my PhD in chemistry in 2005. After one year as an NRC postdoctoral research associate with Mike Gagné, I accepted a position as Assistant Professor here at Colgate in 2006. I was promoted to Associate Professor in 2012.
My research is conducted through the Chianese group, in the Department of Chemistry, which focuses on the field of transition-metal homogeneous catalysis. In the Chianese group, undergraduate students learn techniques for organic and inorganic synthesis, including the handling of air-sensitive compounds. We rely on multinuclear NMR spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography to characterize new products, and students gain direct experience with these methods.
Many students in the group have had the opportunity to co-author publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Learn more about the Chianese group:
Undergraduate co-authors are marked with an asterisk.
From the Chianese group at Colgate University:
- Knapp, S. M. M.; Shaner, S. E.; Kim, D.*; Shopov, D. Y.*; Tendler, J. A.*; Pudalov, D. M.*; Chianese, A. R.‡ "Mechanistic Studies of Alkene Isomerization Catalyzed by CCC-Pincer Complexes of Iridium," Organometallics, 2014, 33, 473-484. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om400786r
- Chianese, A. R.;‡ Drance, M. J.*; Jensen, K. H.*; McCollom, S. P.*; Yusufova, N.*; Shaner, S. E.; Shopov, D. Y.*; Tendler, J. A.* "Acceptorless Alkane Dehydrogenation Catalyzed by Iridium CCC-Pincer Complexes," Organometallics, 2014, 33, 457-464. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om4006577
- Chianese, A. R.‡; Shaner, S. E.; Tendler, J. A.*; Pudalov, D. M.*; Shopov, D. Y.*; Kim, D.*; Rogers, S. L.*; Mo, A.* "Iridium Complexes of Bulky CCC-Pincer N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands: Steric Control of Coordination Number and Catalytic Alkene Isomerization," Organometallics, 2012, 31, 7359-7367. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om300468d
- Chianese, A. R.‡; Mo, A.*, Lampland, N. L.*, Swartz, R. L.*, and Bremer, P. T.* "Iridium Complexes of CCC-Pincer N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands: Synthesis and Catalytic C-H Functionalization," Organometallics, 2010, 29, 3019-3026. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om100302g
- Chianese, A. R.‡; Rogers, S. L.*; Al-Gattas, H.* "Palladium-Catalyzed Synthesis of Carbazoles from N-(2-Halophenyl)-2,6-diisopropylphenylanilines via C–C Cleavage," Tetrahedron Lett., 2010, 51, 2241-2243. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2010.02.098
- Yan, H.; Wong, C.*; Chianese, A. R.; Luo, J.; Wang, L.; Yin, J.; Zhong, C. J.‡ "Dendritic Arenethiol-Based Capping Strategy for Engineering Size and Surface Reactivity of Gold Nanoparticles," Chem. Mater., 2010, 22, 5918-5928. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cm101979v
- Chianese, A. R.‡; Bremer, P. T.*; Wong, C.*; Reynes, R. J.* "Rigid, Sterically Diverse N-Heterocyclic Carbene-Pyridine Chelates: Synthesis, Mild Palladation, and Palladium-Catalyzed Allylic Substitution," Organometallics, 2009, 28, 5244-5252. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om900554c
- Chianese, A. R.‡; Mo, A.*; Datta, D.* "Flexible, Bowl-Shaped N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands: Substrate Specificity in Iridium-Catalyzed Ketone Hydrosilylation," Organometallics, 2009, 28, 465-472. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om800878m
Chianese's publications with the Gagné group (UNC):
- Chianese, A. R.‡; Lee, S. J.; Gagné, M. R. "Electrophilic Activation of Alkenes by Platinum(II): So Much More Than a Slow Version of Palladium(II)," Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2007, 46, 4042-4059; Angew. Chem., 2007, 119, 4118-4136. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114250795/ABSTRACT
- Tarselli, M. A.; Chianese, A. R.; Gagné, M. R.‡ "Gold(I)-Catalyzed Asymmetric Cycloisomerization of Ene-allenes into Vinyl-cyclohexenes," Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2007, 6670-6673. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114297603/ABSTRACT
Chianese's publications with the Crabtree group (Yale):
- Leung, C. H.; Chianese, A. R.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Complexation of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes (NHC) to Transition Metals by Transmetallation from Silver-NHC Complexes," Inorg. Synth., 2010, 35, 84-87.
- Voutchkova, A. M.; Appelhans, L. N.; Chianese, A. R.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Disubstituted Imidazolium-2-Carboxylates as Efficient Precursors to N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes of Ru, Rh, Ir and Pd," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127, 17624-17625. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja056625k
- Li, X. W.; Chianese, A. R.; Vogel, T.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Stable Iridium Hydrides as Active Catalysts for Intramolecular Alkyne Hydroalkoxylation and Hydroamination," Organic Letters 2005, 7, 5437-5440. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol052186i
- Appelhans, L. N.; Zuccaccia, D.; Kovacevic, A.; Chianese, A. R.; Miecznikowski, J. R.; Macchioni, A.; Clot, E.; Eisenstein, O.‡; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "An Anion-Dependent Switch in Selectivity Results from a Change of C-H Activation Mechanism in the Reaction of an Imidazolium Salt With IrH5(PPh3)2," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005, 127, 16299-16311. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja055317j
- Chianese, A. R.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Axially Chiral Bidentate N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands Derived from BINAM: Rhodium and Iridium Complexes in Asymmetric Ketone Hydrosilylation," Organometallics 2005, 24, 4432-4436. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om050323%2B
- Chianese, A. R.; Zeglis, B. M.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Unexpected Oxidative C-C Cleavage in the Metallation of 2-Substituted Imidazolium Salts to Give N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes," Chem. Commun. 2004, 2176-2177. http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/Journals/CC/article.asp?doi=b409672j
- Chianese, A. R.; Kovacevic, A.; Zeglis, B. M.; Faller, J. W.‡; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Abnormal C5-Bound N-Heterocyclic Carbenes: Extremely Strong Electron Donor Ligands and their Iridium(I) and Iridium(III) Complexes," Organometallics 2004, 23, 2461-2468. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om049903h
- Mata, J. A.; Chianese, A. R.; Miecznikowski, J. R.; Poyatos, M.; Peris, E.; Faller, J. W.‡; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Reactivity Differences in the Syntheses of Chelating N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes of Rhodium are Ascribed to Ligand Anisotropy," Organometallics 2004, 23, 1253-1263. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om034240%2B
- Chianese, A. R.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Pincer and Chelate N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes of Rh, Ir, and Pd: Synthetic Routes, Dynamics, Catalysis, Abnormal Binding, and Counterion Effects," In Activation and Functionalization of C-H Bonds; Goldberg, K. I., Goldman, A. S., Eds.; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 2004; Vol. 885, pp 169-183. http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/~agoldman/TOC_ACS_Symposium_Series_885.htm
- Chianese, A. R.; Li, X. W.; Janzen, M. C.; Faller, J. W.; Crabtree, R. H.‡ "Rhodium and Iridium Complexes of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes via Transmetalation: Structure and Dynamics," Organometallics 2003, 22, 1663-1667. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/om021029%2B
BA, Drew University, 2001; MS, PhD Yale University, 2005
- CHEM 101: General Chemistry I
- CHEM 102: General Chemistry II
- CHEM 212: Inorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 381: Practical Quantitative Analysis
- CHEM 387: Structure and Analysis: Small-Molecule X-Ray Crystallography
- CHEM 413: Molecular Symmetry and Group Theory
- CHEM 415: Organometallic Chemistry
- CORE 102/FSEM 122: Molecules, Energy, and the Environment
Inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry
Organometallic chemistry, homogeneous catalysis, reaction mechanisms