Information and strategies for minimizing waste on campus and maximizing recycling.
Some keys ways that everyone in the community may help to reduce campus waste include:
- Carry and fill a reusable water bottle at one of the many refill stations across campus. Find locations on the campus map.
- Bring a reusable mug and save $.50 for beverage orders at Chobani at the Hieber Café and the Coop.
- Take only the food you will eat when dining at Frank Dining Hall.
- Carry in your own reusable utensils when dining at Chobani at the Hieber Café or the Coop.
When it isn't possible to reduce waste or to reuse items, make sure to recycle properly. Colgate is located in Madison County, which features a two-stream recycling process. Always ensure to properly sort recycling into the bin for its proper stream:
- Paper products
- Bottles and cans
All recycled items must also be clean to avoid contamination in the recycling process. For more information about Madison County's recycling guidelines:
Electronic Waste (eWaste)Recycling
Obsolete or broken small electronic devices (eWaste) should always be recycled. Simply collect eWaste in a common area in your department or common area. When enough waste is collected, submit a work order to have it collected and properly recycled. All of Colgate's eWaste is taken to EWASTE+, an R2/RIOS and NAID certified recycler in NYS. Learn more about what can and cannot be recycled at Colgate by visiting the EWASTE+ website.
- Cell phones
- Compact discs
- Digital cameras
- Cables and cords
- Printer cartridges
- Other small electronic devices
Larger Electronic Devices
Larger devices such as Colgate-owned television sets, computers, and printers are collected by ITS. Call the ITS helpline at 315-228-7111 for assistance.