- The portal allows you to access Banner Self-Service using your network log in and password.You can also use the direct link to Self-Service: colgate.edu/studentregistration.
- To register via Banner Self-Service, you must first obtain your registration PIN from your faculty adviser. If your faculty adviser is off-campus (i.e. leading a study group or on leave), you should meet with the interim adviser designated by the department or the chairperson of the adviser’s department.
The registration PIN permits access to the registration section of Banner Self-Service, where you can create or revise your registration for the coming term. Your registration PIN will be valid beginning at your scheduled registration time and ending on June 14.
Forgotten or Lost PINs
If you forget or lose your PIN you must contact your faculty adviser. In the event you can not locate your adviser you can contact the department chair. The registrar's office does not give out PINs.
Please see the registration schedule. You will be eligible to register during or after your assigned registration time. You will not be able to access the Registration Menu prior to your scheduled time.
- Access the registration menu of Banner Self-Service at colgate.edu/studentregistration or log into the Colgate portal using your network ID and password. (If going through the portal, click on the Registrar tab and select "Register for Classes.")
- You'll be asked to confirm the term for which you are registering. The appropriate term should default in. Click "Submit" to continue.
- At the "Check Your Status" screen, review any possible holds and other registration-related information.
- Select "Add/Drop Classes" at the bottom of the page.
- On the Alternate PIN Verification screen, you must enter the 6-digit registration PIN you obtained from your academic adviser, then click "Submit PIN."
- If adding courses for the first time, a blank registration form titled "Add Classes: (Term)" will appear. Begin the registration process by placing your cursor in the first CRN field (under the "Add Class" heading) and typing in your first CRN. The CRN, or Course Reference Number, is the five-digit number that appears in the first column in the Course Offerings results page.
- Continue to insert CRNs in each block until you have recorded all of your primary (i.e. first choice) courses and labs. You must submit lectures and their corresponding labs simultaneously.
- To search for courses to add, see section below entitled "Look Up Class to Add."
- When all of your CRNs are entered, click on "Submit Changes." If you do not click "Submit Changes," no changes will take effect.
Courses for which you are successfully registered will appear in the "Current Schedule" section of the form and will have two identifiers:
- Under the "Status" field (first column), "**Registered** on (date)" will appear.
- Under the "Action" field (second column), "None" will appear. This indicates that no action is needed.
You may want to print a copy of your schedule for your records.
Note: Anything appearing on the form below the red exclamation point is not part of your schedule and will be deleted when you exit the screen. When registering or modifying courses in the "Registration Errors" section, you must click "Submit Changes" in order to update your schedule.
Always verify that all of your registered and waitlisted courses appear in the "Current Schedule" portion of the Add/Drop Course screen.
Check the Registrar/Banner Self-Service portlet in the Colgate portal to find the wealth of information that is available to you whenever you need it. From this menu, you may view final grades for a specific term, your unofficial transcript, registration or transcript holds, and financial account information.
To access your final grades for a term, select "View Final Grades," then select the term you want to view. In general, the default term is the most recent term for which final grades have been posted. If the term does not exist in the drop-down menu, your grades have not yet been posted. Please note that students with accounts receivable holds will not be able to view their grades until the hold has been lifted.
To access your unofficial transcript, select "Get Unofficial Transcript."
Prior to registration, you should verify your registration status for the upcoming term by checking View Holds. If you have a hold on your record (e.g. Accounts Receivable Hold or Major Hold), you will not be allowed to register until the hold is cleared.
To find courses while registering you can use the "Class Search" button at the bottom of the screen (next to the submit changes button).
- To find courses while registering you can use the "Class Search" button at the bottom of the screen (next to the submit changes button).
- This screen allows you to search the course listings using any of the search criteria provided (e.g., subject, days, time, etc.). For example, you can search for all Liberal Arts Core Curriculum (CORE) courses at 1:20 on TR. Please note that a subject area (department/program) must be selected.
- Once you have specified your search criteria, click on "Class Search." The form will return the courses that meet the criteria.
- If you find a course or courses that you’d like and you wish to add it/them to your schedule, click on the check box to the left of the course(s). When adding courses, you may click either "Register" or "Add to Worksheet" button. Both of these options will return you to the "Add or Drop Classes" form.
- The "Register" button will process all registration error checking and add all eligible courses to your schedule.
- The "Add to Worksheet" button will enter the courses into the CRN section of the form and allow you to continue entering CRNs.
- Once you have selected your courses, you must click "Submit Changes."
You may modify your registration from the beginning of your scheduled registration time until June 14.
- If dropping a registered course, click on the pull-down menu in the "Action" column on the "Current Schedule" section of the screen. Change the action from "None" to "Drop/Delete," then click "Submit Changes" to drop the course.
- If adding a course, scroll down to the "Add Classes Worksheet" portion of the screen. Proceed as you did with your original registration. (See "REGISTRATION" section above.) Click "Submit Changes" to add the course.
- Waitlisted courses: If you are on the waitlist and a seat opens up you must wait for permission to register. Do not drop yourself from a waitlist to try to access open seats. You can change your status from waitlisted to registered if:
- The instructor gives you permission. In this case, you must bring proof of permission to the registrar's office for processing.You cannot make the change online.
- You receive an email from the registrar's office. In this case, follow the instructions in the email to change your status from waitlisted to registered through Banner self-service.
Registration errors will appear below your current schedule and are marked with a red exclamation point. To determine the specific registration error, scroll right to the "Status" field (last column). A possible "Action" appears in the first field.
Error Messages and Possible Actions
- Class Year Restriction: Registration is restricted to certain class years. Check the Restrictions column on the Course Offerings results page. If you receive the instructor’s permission (e.g., email or signature) to register, bring proof of permission to the registrar’s office for processing.
- Closed & XX on Waitlist: Select "Wait List" and click submit changes to add yourself to the waitlist, or "None" and click submit changes to drop the course. (Note: The XX indicates the number of students already waitlisted for the course. Your position on the waitlist is XX+1.) You must "Submit Changes" to be added to the waitlist. If you do not "Submit Changes," the registration will be deleted.
- Must Register for Coreq Simultaneously: The course for which you are attempting to register has a corequisite. In most cases, the corequisite is a required laboratory section. For instance, CHEM 101 has a corequisite of CHEM 101L. (Check the COREQ column of the Course Offerings results page.) The course may not be taken without its corequisites, so add the course again with its lab section (or vise versa). Remember to submit the CRNs simultaneously.
- Duplicate CRN: You have added the same course/CRN twice. Take no action; the course will be deleted from the "Registration Errors" section.
- Instructor Signature Req: You cannot register online for a restricted course. If you receive the instructor’s permission (e.g., email or signature) to register, bring proof of permission to the registrar’s office for processing.
- Major Restriction: Registration is based on a student’s declared major. If you receive the instructor’s permission (e.g., email or signature) to register, bring proof of permission to the registrar’s office for processing.
- Max Course Credits Exceeded: You cannot register for more than 4.50 course credits during registration. Students wishing to add a fifth course must wait until the Drop/Add period to do so.
- Missing Course Prerequisite(s): Registration is based on one or more pre-requisites that you have not fulfilled. If you receive the instructor’s permission (e.g., email or signature) to register, bring proof of permission to the registrar’s office for processing.
- Repeat Course--Contact Registrar's Office: If you have already taken or received credit for a course and would like to repeat it, you must contact the registrar’s office prior to registration. Please see "Repeating a Course" in the current Colgate University Catalogue to determine whether you need the instructor's permission (email or signature) to repeat the course.
- Reserve Seats Full & XX on Waitlist: "Reserve," indicates that a certain number of seats have been reserved by class year or other category. If you receive the "Reserve Seats Full" error, it means that all of the seats reserved for your category are full. Thus, while seats may still be available in the course as a whole, they are not open to you at this time. To waitlist yourself for the course, select "Wait List," then "Submit Changes." (Note: The XX indicates the number of students already waitlisted for the course. Your position on the waitlist is XX+1.) You must "Submit Changes" to be added to the waitlist. If you do not "Submit Changes," the course will be deleted.
- Time Conflict With (CRN): Either select another course or, if you prefer this course to the course with which it conflicts, change the "Action" of the registered course (the first column in the Current Schedule section) from "None" to "Drop/Delete" by using the pull-down menu. Then, re-enter the CRN of the course you want in the "Add Class" section, and "Submit Changes."
Some courses are crosslisted (offered in two different departments/programs). These courses are designated by section letters of AX, BX, CX (and so forth). In addition, the course with which it is crosslisted appears in the "CrossList" column (fourth from the right) in the Course Offering results page.
Restricted courses include those in which enrollment is limited to certain class years or majors, and courses that require the instructor’s signature. Restrictions are noted in the "Restrictions" column (third from the right) in the Course Offering results page.
If you wish to register for a course that has a restriction that pertains to you, you should contact the instructor to discuss the issue and to request permission to register. If you are granted permission, bring proof the permission (eg., email or signature) to the registrar's office for processing.
- During online registration, you are asked to limit your registration to a total of six course entries (e.g., four enrolled courses plus two waitlisted, or three enrolled courses and three waitlisted, etc.).
- Remember—if you decide to waitlist a course (after receiving the error message "Closed & XX on Waitlist"), you must "Submit Changes" to be added to the waitlist. If you do not "Submit Changes," you will not be added to the waitlist.
- Waitlists are limited to 50 students. If a waitlist fills, no additional students will be permitted to waitlist themselves.
- Between the end of registration and the end of the current term, the registrar's office will notify you via e-mail of openings in courses for which you are waitlisted. If you receive an email from the registrar's office, please follow the instructions closely.
- If a faculty member allows you to register after being waitlisted, you must bring proof of permission to the registrar's office for processing.
Always be sure to log off from the Colgate portal and close your browser window after you’ve completed registering for courses or viewing confidential academic or financial information.
- If you experience any problems while using Banner Self-Service please try the following:
- Log out of the portal, close your browser (all browser windows/"quit" if using a Mac), wait a moment before logging back in.
- Try a different browser. **Please be sure to log out of the portal and close your previous browser before trying a new one.**
- If you continue to experience trouble or have any questions please contact the registrar’s office at 315-228-7676 or 315-228-7408.
- During registration, the registrar’s office will be open at night, in addition to regular business hours. See the Course Registration page for details.
- Please call the ITS Service Desk (x7111) only if you are experiencing technical problems.
Banner Self-Service OverviewThis tutorial provides a general overview of the various registration functions in Banner Self-Service.
Drop and AddLearn how to add and drop courses using Banner Self-Service.
Conditional Add and Drop
Learn how to use this new feature.