Reporting a Work-Related Motor Vehicle Accident

Accident Procedures

The following steps should be taken by the driver in the event of an accident with a Colgate-related motor vehicle.

  • On-campus accidents: Do not leave the scene of the accident.  Call Campus Safety at 315-228-7911.
  • Off-campus accidents: Do not leave the scene of the accident. Call 911 or the local police department. Request that a police report be completed to document the accident.
  • Contact your supervisor immediately after calling 911 or the Department of Campus Safety.
  • Avoid making statements regarding responsibility or fault.
  • Provide the other party with the insurance information contained in the Motor Vehicle, as well as your name, address, and telephone number.
  • Upon return to campus, notify the Colgate University Risk Manager at 315-228-7765.
  • Accidents involving rented Motor Vehicles must also be reported to the rental agency.
  • Accidents involving university-owned vehicles must also be reported to the Facilities Department.

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law

In accordance with New York State (NYS) Vehicle and Traffic Law, any driver involved in an accident resulting in injuries and/or property damage in excess of $1,000 is required to file a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form (MV-104) to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within ten (10) days. A copy of this report should also be provided to the Colgate University Risk Manager.