Applications are now being accepted for Peer Writing and Speaking Consultants to begin in Fall 2022.
Applications are due March 13, 2022. Please see below for the online application forms.
- In addition to demonstrating strong communication skills, peer consultants must be personable, reliable, and able to help others learn.
- Required application materials include written answers to questions provided in the online form (see below), and the name of one Colgate staff or faculty member willing to serve as a reference (no recommendation letter required). Additionally, applicants for writing consultant positions must submit an academic writing sample. Applicants for public speaking positions must be able to provide a public speaking video of themselves.
- New consultants must be on campus in the Fall semester of their first year of working in the center. Students who know they will be studying abroad in Fall 2022 should wait to apply in March 2023 for work to begin Fall 2023.
- Applicants do not need to have declared a major by the time of application, and applicants from all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Rising sophomores are especially encouraged to apply.
- Peer writing consultants must be able to work at least 5 regular evening hours per week (evening = between 7:00 and 10:00pm) throughout the fall semester. Writing consultants may work up to 12 hours/week (the average is 8 hours). Peer speaking consultants must be available to work at least 3 regular evening hours per week.
- Peer consultants must be available to attend a full staff orientation on the day before classes begin in August. They must also be available to attend a 4-hour weekend retreat in September and staff trainings most Friday afternoons (2:30-4:00pm) throughout the fall semester. Links, CLs, and other campus leaders may therefore be ineligible due to time conflicts with required trainings and events.
- If selected, consultants who pass review at the end of each semester will be automatically eligible for rehire until graduation, even if they leave for a semester to study abroad.
Please click the link to complete an online application to work as a peer writing consultant. (If you receive the error message "You need permission," you need to authenticate by signing in to Google using your Colgate account.) The center will accept applications for new peer writing consultants until midnight on March 13, 2022.
Please click the link to complete an online application for a speaking consultant position to begin Fall 2022. (If you receive the error message "You need permission," you need to authenticate by signing in to Google using your Colgate account.) The center will accept applications for new peer speaking consultants until midnight on March 13, 2022.