Now Accepting Applications for Fall 2020
The Writing and Speaking Center accepts applications in March for new peer consultants to begin the following fall.
- In addition to demonstrating strong communication skills, peer consultants must be personable, reliable, and able to help others learn.
- Current first-year students are especially encouraged to apply, but any student who will be enrolled and on campus in Fall 2020 is eligible. Because initial training occurs in the fall, students who will be off campus in Fall 2020 must wait until next March (2021) to apply for academic year 2021-2022.
- Applicants do not need to have declared a major by the time of application, and the center seeks to build a staff with diverse academic interests and specialties, including scientific writing.
- Peer writing consultants must be able to work at least 5 consistent evening or weekend hours per week throughout the fall semester. Most writing consultants work 8 hours per week. Peer speaking consultants must be available to work at least 2 hours per week.
- Applicants for writing consultant positions must have a 3.0 minimum GPA in Core courses and their FSEM, but not all Core courses need to be completed at the time of application.
- In addition to hours working with clients, peer consultants must be available to attend one-hour afternoon staff trainings each week throughout the fall semester. Days and times are TBD based on consultants' weekly schedules.
- If selected, consultants who pass review after their first fall will not need to re-apply if they wish to continue working in the center, even if they leave for a semester to study abroad.
For more information, consider attending one of our upcoming info sessions.
Submissions and Deadline
Please place your application materials in the mailbox of Professor J. Lutman, Suite 213 Lathrop Hall, Department of Writing and Rhetoric.
Deadline for writing consultant applications: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 13, 2020.
Deadline for speaking consultant applications: 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 25, 2020.
Applicants selected for first-round interviews will be notified by April 1. Final hiring decisions will be made before exam week in May.
If you have any questions, please email Professor Lutman (email@example.com) or call her at 315-228-7376.