Applications are now being accepted for Peer Speaking Consultants.
The Writing and Speaking Center is seeking to hire new peer speaking consultants for Fall 2021. New writing consultants are selected each spring semester to begin the following academic year.
- In addition to demonstrating strong communication skills, peer consultants must be personable, reliable, and able to help others learn.
- Required application materials include written answers to questions provided in the online form, the name of one Colgate faculty or staff member willing to serve as a reference (no recommendation letter required), and an academic writing sample (writing consultants) or public speaking video (speaking consultants).
- Applicants for writing consultant positions must have received a B or higher in their FSEM.
- New consultants must be on campus in the Fall semester of their first year of working in the center. Students who will study abroad in Fall 2022 should wait to apply the following year (in March 2023 for writing consultants) for work to begin Fall 2023.
- Applicants do not need to have declared a major by the time of application, and applicants from all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Rising sophomores interested in training as writing consultants are especially encouraged to apply.
- Peer writing consultants must be able to work at least 5 regular evening hours per week (evening = between 7:00 and 10:00pm) throughout the entire semester. Writing consultants may work a total of between 5 and 12 hours/week. Peer speaking consultants must be available to work at least 3 evening hours per week.
- In addition to hours working with clients, peer writing consultants must be available to attend an orientation on the day before classes begin in August. They must also be available to attend paid staff trainings most Friday afternoons (2:30-4:00pm) throughout the fall semester.
- If selected, consultants who pass review at the end of each semester will be automatically eligible for rehire each term until graduation, even if they leave for a semester to study abroad.
Although the deadline for academic year 2021-22 has now passed, you may read this year's application to work as a peer writing consultant. (If you receive the error message "You need permission," you need to authenticate by signing in to Google using your Colgate account.) The center will accept applications for new peer writing consultants again in Spring 2022, for work to begin the following fall semester.
Please click the link to complete an online application for a speaking consultant position to begin this fall. (If you receive the error message "You need permission," you need to authenticate by signing in to Google using your Colgate account.) The center will accept applications for new peer speaking consultants until Thursday, Sept. 23, 2021 at 5:00pm Eastern time.
Submissions and Deadline
Writing consultant applicants: In addition to submitting your online application at the link above, please send a sample of your academic writing as an email attachment to Director Jenn Lutman (email@example.com). Your sample should be at least 1,000 words long (no maximum word limit) and should demonstrate your analytic writing skills. Please do not submit poetry, fiction, or other creative writing genres. You do not need to edit your essay for the purposes of submission, but it will be to your advantage to include a brief introduction to your sample: In which Colgate class did you write this paper, what was the assignment, and what is your own assessment of your paper's major strengths and weaknesses? This introduction should be just a few sentences written in the body of your email.
Deadline for writing consultant applications: March 21, 2021.
Deadline for speaking consultant applications: September 1, 2021. Information about applying to become a speaking consultant will be posted later this spring.
Applicants selected for first-round interviews will be notified within two weeks following the application deadline.
If you have any questions, please email Professor Lutman (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call her at 315-228-7376.