We’ve compiled forms and links about information critical for international students all in one place.
Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is defined as "temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student's major area of study."
As a benefit of F-1 visa status, you are permitted, when eligible, to apply for a total of one year or 365 days of employment authorization to gain practical training in your field of study (i.e. the major listed on your I-20).
Online I-765 step-by-step instruction
Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment authorization for students in F-1 visa status for employment that is an "integral part of an established curriculum."
Forms and Information Sheets
Application for Initial I-20
- Application for Initial I-20 (2023-24)
- Sponsor’s Affidavit and Bank Official Certification Statement (2023-24)
All Other Forms and Information Sheets
- Applying for an F-1 Visa at a U.S. Embassy
- For Canadian Citizens - Acquiring F-1 Visa Status at a U.S. Port of Entry
- What to Expect at a U.S. Port of Entry
- Maintaining Valid F-1 Status
- Inviting Guests to the U.S.
- OPT Reporting Form
- Request for I-20 Update
- SEVIS Registration Form
- Transfer Eligibility Form
- CBP I-94 Retrieval
- NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Study in the States (DHS)
- U.S. Department of State (DOS)
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
Paying Your Student Account
Colgate University has partnered with Flywire to streamline the tuition payment process to provide you with an easy and secure method of sending international payments. With Flywire, you can pay from any country and any bank. You are offered excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save a significant amount of money, as compared to traditional banks. You will be able to track where your payment is in the transfer process via a student dashboard and an email confirmation will be sent to you when your payment is received by the school. You will also receive peace of mind with dedicated multilingual customer support.