B.S. Beloit College, 1994; M.S. and Ph.D. University of Wisconsin, 1996 and 2000.
William Peck teaches Mineralogy and Petrology and manages Colgate's Stable Isotope Laboratory. His research program focusses on the magmatism, metamorphism, and ore deposits of the Grenville Province, a billion year-old exposure of mid-crustal rocks that stretches from Labrador to the Adirondack Mountains of New York.
Petrology, tectonics, magmatism, and ore deposits in the Adirondacks and Grenville Province
Petrology of zircon and metamorphic zircon growth
Origin of cordierite-gedrite rocks
Conditions of the early Earth
Carbon isotopes in minerals with trace carbon (apatite, cordierite, beryl)
Carbon isotopes in maple, birch, and walnut syrup
Weathering of wollastonite and carbon sequestration
- Associate editor, Special Collection: Isotopes, Minerals, And Petrology: Honoring John Valley, American Mineralogist (2018-present)
- Associate editor, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences (2011-present)
- Associate editor, Geological Society of America Bulletin (2008-2010)
- Editorial board, Geology, (2005-2007)
(*indicates student author)
- Peck, WH, *Quinan, MP, and Selleck, BW, 2019, Detrital zircon constraints on Grenville sedimentation at the margin of Laurentia: Precambrian Research, v. 331, 105342.
- Dunn, SR, Markley, MJ, *Kotikian, M, *Achenbach, K, *Montanye, B, and Peck, WH, 2019, Geothermometry of the western half of the Central Metasedimentary Belt, Grenville Province, Ontario, and its implications: American Mineralogist, v. 104, p. 791-809.
- Peck, WH, and Wong, MW, 2019, Memorial to Bruce Warren Selleck (1949–2017), Geological Society of America Memorials, v. 48, p. 23–27.
- Peck, WH, Selleck, BW, Regan, SP, *Howard, G, and *Kozel, OO, 2018, In-situ dating of metamorphism in Adirondack anorthosite: American Mineralogist, v. 103, p. 1523-1529.
- Markley, MJ, Dunn, SR, Jercinovic, MJ, Peck, WH, and Williams, ML, 2018, Monazite U-Th-Pb Geochronology of the Central Metasedimentary Belt Boundary Zone (CMBbz), Ontario Canada: Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 55, p. 1063-1078.
- Peck, WH, *Cummings, EE, *Van Slyke, E, 2018, Carbon isotope composition of birch syrup, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, v. 71, p. 25-27.
- Volkert, RA, and Peck, WH, 2017, Constraints from geochemistry and oxygen isotopes for the origin of mafic orthoamphibole gneiss in the New Jersey Highlands, north-central Appalachians, USA: Lithos, v. 294-295, p. 184-197.
- Peck, WH, *Shramko, MF, and Verbeek, ER, 2016, Carbon and oxygen isotopes of secondary carbonates at Franklin and Sterling Hill: The Picking Table, v. 57, p. 29-38.
- Peck, WH, 2016, Protolith carbon isotope ratios in cordierite from metamorphic and igneous rocks: American Mineralogist, v. 101, p. 2279-2287.
- Darling, RS, and Peck, WH, 2016, Metamorphic conditions of Adirondack rocks: Adirondack Journal of Environmental Studies, v. 21, p. 61-79.
- Peck, WH, 2016, Episodes in geologic investigations of the Adirondacks: Adirondack Journal of Environmental Studies, v. 21, p. 41-60.
- Peck, WH, 2015, Geology at Colgate before Lathrop Hall, Colgate University Geology Department Newsletter, Winter 2014–2015, p. 27-31.
- Peck, WH, Selleck, BS, Wong, MS, Chiarenzelli, JR, Harpp, KS, Hollocher, K, Lackey, JS, *Catalano, J, *Regan, SP, and *Stocker, A, 2013, Orogenic to post-orogenic (1.20-1.15 Ga) magmatism in the Adirondack Lowlands and Frontenac terrane, southern Grenville Province: Geosphere v. 9, p. 1637-1663.
- *Agustsson KS, Johnson, SM, Peck, WH, and Kylander-Clark A., 2013, Geochemistry and geochronology of the Central Metasedimentary Belt boundary thrust zone thrust sheets in Southern Ontario, Grenville Province: Geosphere, v. 9, p. 853-863.
- Peck, WH, and Tubman, SC*, 2010, Changing carbon isotope ratio of atmospheric carbon dioxide: Implications for food authentication, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, v. 58(4), p. 2364–2367
- Peck, WH, Volkert, RA, Mansur, A*, Doverspike, BA*, 2009, Stable isotope and petrologic evidence for the origin of regional marble-hosted magnetite deposits and the zinc deposits at Franklin and Sterling Hill, New Jersey Highlands: Economic Geology, v. 104, p. 1037-1054.
- Wilde, S, Valley, JW, Peck, WH, and Graham, CM, 2001, Evidence from detrital zircons for the existence of continental crust and oceans on the Earth 4.4 Gyr ago: Nature, v. 409, p. 175-178.