B.S. Beloit College, 1994; M.S. and Ph.D. University of Wisconsin, 1996 and 2000.
William Peck teaches Mineralogy and Petrology and manages Colgate's Stable Isotope Laboratory. His research program focusses on the magmatism, metamorphism, and ore deposits of the Grenville Province, a billion year-old exposure of mid-crustal rocks that stretches from Labrador to the Adirondack Mountains of New York.
Petrology, tectonics, magmatism, and ore deposits in the Adirondacks and Grenville Province
Petrology of zircon and metamorphic zircon growth
Origin of cordierite-gedrite rocks
Conditions of the early Earth
Carbon isotopes in minerals with trace carbon (apatite, cordierite, beryl)
Carbon isotopes in maple, birch, and walnut syrup
Weathering of wollastonite and carbon sequestration
- Associate editor, American Mineralogist (2018-present)
- Associate editor, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences (2011-present)
- Associate editor, Geological Society of America Bulletin (2008-2010)
- Editorial board, Geology, (2005-2007)
(*indicates student author)
- Peck, WH, *Rathkopf, CA, Mathur, RD, Matt, PD, Stable isotope (C, O, S, and Zn) geochemistry of marble-hosted exhalative zinc deposits in the Central Metasedimentary Belt, Grenville Province, Canada: Insights into ore deposition and tectonic setting: Ore Geology Reviews, v. 148, 105057. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2022.105057
- Matt, P, Peck, WH, Mathur, R, *Hurtgen, M, and Godfrey, L, 2022, Zinc Isotope Constraints on the Formation of Sedimentary Exhalative (SEDEX) ore deposits: New Evidence from the Franklin, NJ Mining District: Ore Geology Reviews, v. 147, 104970. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2022.104970
- Peck, WH, and *Quinan MP, 2022, New age constraints on magmatism and metamorphism in the Morin terrane (Grenville Province, Quebec): Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 59, p. 232–242.
- Chiarenzelli, JR, Regan, SP, Lupulescu MV, Peck, WH, Hanchar, JM, 2022, Comment on Aleinikoff et al. (2021) – New interpretations of the ages and origins of the Hawkeye Granite Gneiss and Lyon Mountain Granite Gneiss, Adirondack Mountains, NY: Implications for the nature and timing of Mesoproterozoic plutonism, metamorphism, and deformation: Precambrian Research, v. 372, 106604.
- Peck, WH, and *Eppich, GR, 2019, The Kilmar magnesite deposits: Evaporitic metasediments in the Grenville supergroup, Morin terrane, Quebec: Minerals, v. 9, 554.
- Peck, WH, *Quinan, MP, and Selleck, BW, 2019, Detrital zircon constraints on Grenville sedimentation at the margin of Laurentia: Precambrian Research, v. 331, 105342.
- Dunn, SR, Markley, MJ, *Kotikian, M, *Achenbach, K, *Montanye, B, and Peck, WH, 2019, Geothermometry of the western half of the Central Metasedimentary Belt, Grenville Province, Ontario, and its implications: American Mineralogist, v. 104, p. 791-809.
- Peck, WH, and Wong, MW, 2019, Memorial to Bruce Warren Selleck (1949–2017), Geological Society of America Memorials, v. 48, p. 23–27.
- Peck, WH, Selleck, BW, Regan, SP, *Howard, G, and *Kozel, OO, 2018, In-situ dating of metamorphism in Adirondack anorthosite: American Mineralogist, v. 103, p. 1523-1529.
- Peck, WH, *Cummings, EE, *Van Slyke, E, 2018, Carbon isotope composition of birch syrup, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, v. 71, p. 25-27.
- Peck, WH, 2016, Protolith carbon isotope ratios in cordierite from metamorphic and igneous rocks: American Mineralogist, v. 101, p. 2279-2287.
- Darling, RS, and Peck, WH, 2016, Metamorphic conditions of Adirondack rocks: Adirondack Journal of Environmental Studies, v. 21, p. 61-79.
- Peck, WH, 2016, Episodes in geologic investigations of the Adirondacks: Adirondack Journal of Environmental Studies, v. 21, p. 41-60.
- Wilde, S, Valley, JW, Peck, WH, and Graham, CM, 2001, Evidence from detrital zircons for the existence of continental crust and oceans on the Earth 4.4 Gyr ago: Nature, v. 409, p. 175-178.