Theoretical Relativity [relativistic physics, spacetime structure, relativistic pedagogy], Applied Mathematics, Physics Pedagogy, Computational Physics and Scientific Visualization
- Ph.D., Physics, Syracuse University, 2008
- M.S., Physics, University of Chicago, 1992
- B.S., Mathematics and Physics, SUNY Stony Brook, 1989
Introductory and Intermediate Undergraduate Physics, Computational Physics, Mathematical Methods
"Relativity on Rotated Graph Paper"(Am. J. Phy., 84, 344 (2016) - http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.4943251),
part of the theme issue: "Relativity and Gravitation-Contemporary Research and Teaching of Einstein's Physics"
(a 2011 draft is available at arxiv.org/abs/1111.7254 ).
"Toward a quantum dynamics for causal sets",
(doctoral dissertation, Syracuse University, Physics, 2008)
“Visualizing Proper Time in Special Relativity.”
(Physics Teacher (Indian Physical Society), v46 (4), (October-December 2004), 132-143),
available at arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505134
“Some Identities for the Quantum Measure and its Generalizations.”
(Mod. Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 17, No. 12 (2002) 711-728 - http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217732302007041 )
available at arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9903015
AAPT (American Association for Physics Teachers).
Search for abstracts of my oral and poster presentations at the AAPT national meetings.
[Ongoing large-scale projects with many opportunities for student-projects]
VisualRelativity.com is my website which features some of my research in relativity.
"VPython applications for Teaching Physics" (2001-present)
Rob Salgado's GeoGebra pages (2016-present)
(2018) "Relativity on Rotated Graph Paper: Calculating with Causal Diamonds" (AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting - San Diego CA)
(2016) A "Spacetime Trigonometry" approach to Relativity (Gordon Research Conference - Physics Research and Education, Newport RI)
(2015) Spacetime Trigonometry: a Cayley-Klein geometry approach to Special and General Relativity (General Relativity and Gravitation: A Centennial Perspective - Penn State U.)
(2006) "Spacetime Trigonometry" from the AAPT Topical Workshop "Teaching General Relativity to Undergraduates" - Syracuse University
(2016) Visualizing the Electromagnetic Field with Differential Forms (AAPT 2016 Summer Meeting - Sacramento CA)
(2013) Visualizing Differential Forms in Thermodynamics (AAPT 2013 Summer Meeting - Portland OR)
(2007) "Visualizing Tensors" from the AAPT Topical Conference: Computational Physics for Upper Level Courses - Davidson College
(1995, 1997, 2005,2015) "The Light Cone: an illuminating introduction to relativity"
(2001, 2015) Visualizing Proper Time in Special Relativity [with a Light Clock]
- Colgate University, Visiting Assistant Professor (2018-present)
- U Wisconsin La Crosse, Lecturer (2013-2018)
- Lawrence University, Visiting Assistant Professor (2012-2013)
- Bowdoin College, Visiting Assistant Professor (2010-2012)
- Mount Holyoke College, Visiting Assistant Professor (2008-2010)
- Ph.D., Syracuse University, 2008
- Syracuse University, Part-Time Instructor (Spring 2006-Fall 2007)
- Dillard University, Assistant Professor of Physics (2002-2005*Katrina)
- SUNY Upstate Medical, Research Scientist [Radiology/Radiation Physics] (2001-2002)
- Truman State University, Postdoctoral Teaching/Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics (1999-2001)