Information regarding self-scheduled exams (location, times, etc.) is posted here near the end of each term.
Faculty who give a traditional final exam may either schedule the exam at the time set by the registrar or take advantage of the Academic Honor Code and offer a self-scheduled exam.
The decision to allow students to self-schedule exam times is a course-by-course decision made by individual faculty members. Faculty members are not obligated to allow self-scheduling and may choose to offer the option for some of their courses but not for others.
If you have exams that are not self-scheduled, check the regular exam schedule.
Instructions for Students
Self-scheduled exams are held in the Hall of Presidents in James C. Colgate Hall.
Please remember that self-scheduled exams are made possible by the Academic Honor Code. Students taking self-scheduled exams should not discuss the exam with others in any way, not even to comment on whether it was easy or hard, until after the end of final exams.
Students may start the exam at any of the times listed on the schedule (below), but must allow enough time to complete the exam before the listed ending time for the particular session. Note that self-scheduled exams must be turned in by noon on Friday. Students may not take a self-scheduled exam on Friday afternoon.
All exams are to be picked up in the Clark Room located just outside the entrance to the Hall of Presidents. Students must present their Colgate ID when picking up exams. Students should then proceed directly to the Hall of Presidents (exam room) where they will sign in. They will also sign out when they leave the exam room.
Students must remain in the exam room; the exam may not be taken elsewhere and students will not be able to leave the room to contact their instructor.
Exam Room Rules
- Observe the Honor Code. The Honor Code requires all members of the community to abide by academic honesty standards and to report observed violations of the code. Monitors at the exam room will ask you not to sit with students from your own course in order to avoid any possible misconceptions of an honor code violation or misunderstandings.
- No Talking Please respect the Honor Code and your fellow students -- who are trying to concentrate on their own exams -- by maintaining silence in the exam room. Students who talk will be warned once. The second time it occurs, students will be asked to hand in their exam to the monitor, leave the exam room, and contact their instructor about how--or if--they will be allowed to complete the exam.
- Notes and textbooks are not allowed at the exam unless specifically authorized by your instructor. Please bring only pens and pencils with you to the exam. If you do bring backpacks, notes, texts, etc., you will be asked to leave these items in the back of the exam room.
- Computers, cell phones, and other electronic devices will not be allowed in the exam room.
- Track your time. The time you pick up the exam and return it will be recorded, but you are responsible for monitoring your time and finishing within the time limit set by your instructor. A clock is located in the exam room.
Fall 2019 Schedule
|Date||Sign in||Finish by|
|Monday, December 16||2:00–7:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday, December 17||2:00–7:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, December 18||2:00–7:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.|
|Thursday, December 19||2:00–7:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.|
|Friday, December 20||8:00–10:00 a.m.||Noon|