Driver Safety & Motor Vehicle Use

The goal of the Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Program is to optimize motor vehicle related safety of Colgate University drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.

Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy

The Colgate University Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy provides employee and student requirements for the safe operation of Colgate University owned, leased, or rented motor vehicles.

General Requirements

  • Employees / students must be at least eighteen (18) years old
  • Employees / students must be actively licensed to drive in any of the United States or the District of Columbia, and such license must have been valid for a minimum of one (1) year
  • Students are required to complete the mandatory online Defensive Driver Training course and attend a subsequent vehicle road test offered by the Department of Campus Safety
  • Third parties (i.e., non-employees and non-students) are not permitted to operate Motor Vehicles without first registering as a volunteer via Human Resources and then completing the Driver Authorization process.




Obtain authorization from a sponsoring department in writing via the Driver Authorization Request Form, the student must complete the following requirements:

  1. Submit a Colgate University Driver Authorization Form and photocopy of a valid Gate Card and driver’s license to the Department of Campus Safety. Upon submission of these documents to the Department of Campus Safety, a copy of the student’s MVR will be obtained from the student’s state department of motor vehicles.
  2. Successfully complete all three online Colgate University driver safety training courses available on Moodle: 
    Driver Safety 
    Distracted Driving 
    Winter Weather Driving
    Note: Renewal of student authorization requires completion of only the Driver Safety course.
  3. Successfully complete the vehicle road test administered by the Department of Campus Safety.

After completion of these requirements, the Department of Campus Safety will issue a student Motor Vehicle license valid for one year. Student Motor Vehicle authorization renewal is required every year and consists of repeating steps one (1) and two (2) of the student Motor Vehicle use authorization process detailed above. 

Complete and submit the Driver Authorization Request Form. The form requires the written approval of the head of the employee’s home department or their authorized designee. Upon submission of the Colgate University Driver Authorization Request Form to EHS, a copy of the employee’s motor vehicle report (MVR) will be obtained from the employee’s state department of motor vehicles. Once authorized, the employee will be added to the continuous monitoring system, which automatically reports any new violations, invalid licenses, and approaching license or DOT medical certification expiration dates. Anyone that is not required to drive as a condition of their employment can opt out of continuous monitoring at any time, with the understanding that opting out will immediately revoke authorization to operate a university owned, leased, or rented motor vehicle.

Accident Procedures

If an accident occurs with a Motor Vehicle, the following steps should be taken by the driver:

  • If an accident occurs on-campus, do not leave the scene of the accident.  Call Campus Safety at 315-228-7911.
  • If an accident occurs off-campus, do not leave the scene of the accident.  Call 911 or the local police department.  You should request that a police report be completed to document the accident.
  • Contact your supervisor immediately after calling 911 or the Department of Campus Safety.
  • Avoid making statements regarding responsibility or fault.
  • Provide the other party with the insurance information contained in the Motor Vehicle, as well as your name, address, and telephone number.
  • Upon return to campus, notify the Colgate University Risk Manager at 315-228-7765.
  • Accidents involving rented Motor Vehicles must also be reported to the rental agency.
  • Accidents involving university owned vehicles must also be reported to the Department of Facilities.

In accordance with New York State (NYS) Vehicle and Traffic Law, any driver involved in an accident resulting in injuries and/or property damage in excess of $1,000 is required to file a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form (MV-104) to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within ten (10) days.  A copy of this report should also be provided to the Colgate University Risk Manager.

Roadside Assistance

Roadside assistance for Motor Vehicles in the immediate campus area is available Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by contacting the Department of Facilities at 315-228-7130. Roadside assistance for Motor Vehicles in the immediate campus area during all other times is obtained by contacting the Department of Campus Safety at 315-228-7333. Roadside assistance for Motor Vehicles outside the immediate campus area is provided 24/7 by AAA at (800) AAA-HELP or (800) 222-4357. 

Van Reservation & Use Policy

The university maintains a fleet of vehicles for use by the Colgate community, including students. These vehicles are to be used only for the enhancement of official programs offered through the university. As part of its safety program, the university has established procedures to be followed in association with the use of a fleet vehicle: Colgate University Van Policy & Fleet Agreement