This prestigious fellowship provides summer internship funding, in addition to advising, programmatic, and financial support for students interested in pursuing law school or medical school.
The application for the 2023 Golden Fellowship has now closed.
About the Fellowship
Established in 2006 by John A. Golden ’66 and the Golden Family Foundation, Golden Fellows are selected on a competitive basis for their interest in pursuing law school or medical school, demonstrated leadership potential, and the ability to maintain a GPA of 3.4 or higher.
Qualified sophomores and juniors are encouraged to apply. Students maintain membership in this cohort — including access to the benefits listed below — throughout their remaining enrollment at Colgate as long as their GPA and career interests align with the Golden Fellowship.
Benefits of the Golden Fellowship
- Financial: Fellows receive support for un/underpaid internships, admission test (LSAT, MCAT) preparation services, costs related to the graduate admission process, and travel costs associated with off-campus Golden Fellowship events.
- Advising: Fellows participate in individual and group advising designed and timed to increase a student's clarity of career direction and competitiveness for professional school admission.
- Programmatic: Fellows are leaders on campus and work with Career Services staff and each other to bring interdisciplinary programming and new ideas to the Colgate community. Additionally, fellows take advantage of events featuring industry leaders, alumni, and deans of admission.
Selection and Application
The application requires:
- A short essay describing the student's interest in law or medicine.
- A copy of one's unofficial transcript. Please follow the format for unofficial transcripts outlined in Career Services' toolkit
- A resume certified by Career Services during the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Students must be currently enrolled at Colgate or participating in an approved off-campus study program (including Colgate study groups) to be eligible for selection.
Applications will be reviewed by the Golden Fellowship Committee. Candidates who are selected to advance will be invited to interview with the committee. All candidates will be notified of their outcome in this process.
Please note: applicants with an interest in attending law school and medical school will be evaluated equally.
Please address any questions to James Reed (email@example.com) or Lou Altman (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Career Services.
Join John Golden ’66 for a conversation about the Golden Fellowship at Colgate University.