Course Registration Information for Current Colgate Students Skip Navigation
Registration Options
  • Students are expected to register online, via Banner Self-Service, accessible through the Colgate portal (, or using the direct link, logging in with your Colgate network user name and password. Please see the Banner Self-Service information and instructions page for more information on registering via Banner Self-Service.You may also come to the office (103 Lathrop) during or after your scheduled registration period if you need assistance.

  • Regardless of how you intend to register, you must meet with your academic adviser for registration advising and to obtain your registration PIN. You will not be able to register online or in the registrar's office without your PIN. If your faculty adviser is off campus (i.e. leading a study group or on leave), you should meet with the interim adviser designated by the department or the chairperson of your adviser's department.

  • During registration (November 5-8) the registrar's office will be open Monday - Thursday 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., in addition to regular business hours (8:00a.m.-noon, 1:00p.m.-4:30p.m.). If evening registration is required on November 9, the registrar's office will be open that evening as well.

  • Students on a study group, approved program, or returning from another type of leave should refer to the e-mail sent from the registrar’s office on October 19. The email includes detailed instructions on the registration options available to off-campus students. Students on a Colgate study group receive their PIN from the study group director. Students on approved programs or those returning from other types of leaves must contact their faculty adviser directly for their PIN.

  • Prior to registration, you should verify your registration status for the spring 2019 term by checking Banner Self-Service. If you have a hold on your record (e.g., accounts receivable hold, major hold, etc.), you will not be allowed to register until the hold is cleared. If you have questions or concerns about your registration status, please contact the registrar’s office.

Web Registration Dates
Web registration will be active from the beginning of your scheduled registration time until Sunday, January 6.

Web Registration PIN
  • In order to register, you must receive your registration PIN from your faculty adviser. The registration PIN permits access to the registration section of Banner Self-Service, where you can create or revise your registration for the coming term.

  • You are assigned a new registration PIN each term. You cannot 're-use' the PIN from a prior term. Your fall term registration PIN is valid from the beginning of your scheduled registration time until January 6.

  • IMPORTANT! The registrar's office cannot provide registration PINs. If you forget or lose your PIN you must contact your faculty adviser. In the event you cannot locate your adviser you may contact the department chair.

Fractional Course Credit
  • The amount of credit attached to a course is indicated in the "Cred" column of the Course Offering search results in the Course Offerings posted.
  • Fractional credit of 0.25 or 0.50 may be awarded for two types of courses:
  1. Stand-alone fractional credit courses have a clear intellectual rationale independent from other courses. Examples of stand-alone fractional credit courses may include a 0.50 credit independent study, half-semester courses, some extended studies, or 0.50 credit Theater performance course.
  2. Add-on fractional credit courses comprise components that intellectually engage students in ways that extend beyond the content of the full-credit course to which they are attached. Add-on fractional credit may be either required or optional. Laboratories are the most common type of required add-on fractional credit course.
  • Laboratories: Unless otherwise noted, fractional credit laboratories are required and carry 0.25 credit. In the course listings, for example, CHEM 101L is the required lab component of CHEM 101. Students must register for both CHEM 101 (the lecture) and CHEM 101L (the lab), and will receive a separate grade for each.

  • Independent Study: Independent study proposals for fractional credit will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the faculty supervisor and/or department chair/program director, as are full-credit independent studies.

  • Areas of Inquiry, Global Engagements, and Common Core Requirements: Partial credit courses (0.25 or 0.50) may not be used to fulfill areas of inquiry, global engagements, or common core curriculum requirements.

  • Graduation Requirement Limit: A maximum of two (2.00) credits from add-on fractional credit courses may count toward the 32-credit graduation requirement. Stand-alone fractional credit would not count towards this limitation.

Normal & Maximum Course Loads
  • The normal course load for each academic term is 4.00 - 4.50 course credits, or the equivalent of four full courses. During registration, students may register for no more than 4.50 course credits. Students not on academic warning who wish to take 5.00 course credits in any term may add additional course credits to their class schedules during the drop/add period. Because of the demanding academic load, students who wish to register for 5.00 course credits are urged to discuss this matter with their faculty advisers.
  • Students may register for 5.50 course credits during the Drop/Add period only with the written permission of their faculty adviser. Students may not take or receive credit for more than 5.50 course credits in any term except with the approval of the associate dean of the faculty.

Repeating a Course
If you plan to repeat a course, please contact the registrar's office before the week of registration, otherwise you will not be able to register for that course online.

Waitlists maintained by the registrar's office:
  • Waitlists maintained by the registrar’s office will be managed through the end of the current term. You will be notified via e-mail if a seat becomes available to you. The email will come from "Registrar's Office" with the subject "Waitlist Notification for [CRN]."
Waitlists maintained by departments/individual faculty:
  • Some departments or individual faculty choose to maintain their own waitlists. In these cases, the faculty member will reach out if a seat is available to you.

  • If you've been offered a seat by a faculty member, you must bring proof of permission to the registrar's office to officially change your status from waitlisted to registered. This should be done as soon as possible after receiving permission.
All waitlists will be deleted prior to the start of Drop/Add in January to allow online access to open seats.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grade Option
  • The Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade option is limited to students with junior or senior standing. (Class year standings are determined by earned credits.)
  • Students who plan to take a course S/U should register for the course as usual during registration and should submit the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grade Option form beginning during the Drop/Add period for the term. Students may not declare the S/U grade option during registration.

  • Visit the S/U Grading Option page for full details.

Changes to Course Offerings
  • Colgate University reserves the right to add or cancel courses, or change their days, times, locations, or instructors, as deemed necessary.
  • Any course changes will be posted on the changes to the course offerings page. This site will provide you with a "snapshot" of recent changes. All changes are reflected immediately on Banner Self-Service, as well as the course offerings posted online.