About the Colgate Real Estate Council (CREC)
The Colgate Real Estate Council (CREC) enables Colgate alumni, students, parents, faculty, and staff to develop and maintain relationships with other Colgate community members who are interested or active in the real estate industry. The CREC serves as a lifelong resource that promotes personal fulfillment and professional development.
In March 2011, alumni created a LinkedIn group of Colgate alumni working in the commercial real estate business. We named the group the Colgate Real Estate Council. By 2013, we organized and formed what would become the first of Colgate’s Professional Networks.
Colgate created the Professional Network program in 2014 to help alumni and students pursue their career ambitions and make the most of the University’s powerful alumni network.
CREC sponsors events that help to connect alumni with one another, with students, or both. CREC events:
- Are held off-campus, on-campus, and virtually.
- Sometimes feature more than one Colgate Professional Network around a common topic.
- Draw on themes suggested by volunteers, and campus leadership — as well as current events and trends.
- Often take campus priorities into consideration.
Student Life and Career Path Development Programs
CREC works closely with the on-campus, student-led Real Estate Club while also sponsoring access to the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Foundations of Real Estate Program (FoRE), five module, 30-hour education program and certification and LinkedIn “Rock Your Profile” workshops in partnership with Career Services.
Many other student-facing CREC programs are held during on-campus events or during student trips. Through these programs, students are able to meet with alumni in the real estate industry for hands-on learning opportunities. Some examples include:
- "All Roads Lead to Real Estate" – Annual September Kick-off event
- Homecoming networking events
- SophoMORE Connections
- NYC Student Immersion Trip and CREC Winter Social event
- Multiple career panel programs – over course of the year
- One-on-one introductions to industry professionals
Different committees exist to focus on various CREC activities and priorities, including:
- Career Advancement
- Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Student Engagement
To become involved in one of these committees, reach out to a CREC leader.
Alumni and students who are interested in real estate can connect with Colgate Real Estate Council leadership through the Colgate Link.