Founded in 1980 by Professor Frederick Busch, Living Writers has a long tradition as an undergraduate course (Engl. 360) and a guest writers’ series. For the past 10 years, members of the English department have offered a not-for-credit version of the program geared toward alumni, parents, and community members.
It’s available online as well as in person, and it’s entirely self-paced. Do as little or as much as you like.
To help get you started, we offer these 10 steps:
1. Decide on a book you’d like to read. Click on the cover image to learn more about the book, its author, and our reasons for picking it. Scroll down for links to our interview with the author as well as reviews, articles and more to enrich your reading experience.
2. Check out the book from your local library or else buy a copy from the Colgate Bookstore or your favorite bookseller. If you'd like to get a signed copy of a book, contact Kate Reynolds at the Colgate bookstore
3. Read the book.
4. If you’re a Twitter user, consider tweeting about the book. You can find us @ColgateLW.
5. On the Monday before the author’s visit to campus, join us for a Zoom session from 7-8 p.m. Sit back and listen for the first 15 minutes as faculty from across the disciplines offer their take on the work, then join the conversation—or simply listen in. Each author page has everything you need, including a registration link and a list of faculty who will be in attendance.
6. On the day of the author’s visit, join us at the appointed hour (usually 4:30) in Love Auditorium for a talk followed by an audience Q&A, then a book-signing. Light refreshments will be served in the lobby beforehand.
7. If you can’t be there in person, join us via Zoom. The registration link will appear on each author page a few days before the scheduled event. We promise a robust viewing experience that will be almost as good as being there, and certainly you will have an opportunity to interact with the author during the Q&A.
8. The author talks will be recorded and archived until Dec. 31. The links will not appear on the Living Writers website but will be sent in weekly messages to subscribers.
9. Not a subscriber yet? Click on this link to receive our weekly updates and reminders, including links to register for upcoming events and to view archived talks. Feel free to share the link with anyone else who might be interested.
10. Got questions or feedback? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org