Colgate's boathouse is located on Lake Moraine, just three miles from campus. It is home to Colgate's varsity rowing teams, as well as recreational boating activities.
Open July 8 – August 16, 2020
All hours are weather dependent.
To check status, call 315-228-7620.
Recreational watercraft at the boathouse are available for use by students, faculty, staff, alumni, and their guests at no charge.
All visitors must request a 1-hour reservation time at least 48 hours in advance. Available watercraft include canoes, recreational kayaks, sea kayaks, rowboats, pedal boats, Pico sailboats, and stand up paddle boards. Vessels are available for use on the lake only.
- Recreational kayaks
- Sea kayaks
- Pedal boat
- Pico sailboats
- Stand up paddle boards
Private Group Reservations
Private groups may reserve the Boathouse during non-public hours.
Email the boathouse manager, Christian Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org) with requests.
- From downtown Hamilton, travel northeast on West Lake Moraine Road.
- After passing the White Eagle, turn right onto Frank Road (marked with a Glendening Boathouse sign).
- Follow the road to the right until you see the cedar shingles boathouse with a maroon gate.
- All visitors to the boathouse must park in the parking lot.
If the gate is locked, then the facility is closed.
Policies and Practices
- All hours are weather dependent. You will be notified if your reservation is cancelled due to inclement weather.
- Colgate University ID is required in order to use the equipment. Students, faculty, and staff may bring guests, but at least one person in a group must have valid Colgate ID.
- The boathouse property is just for boating. No swimming, picnicking, or sunbathing is permitted at any time. This is especially important in support of social distancing requirements.
- A signed assumption of risk/release of liability statement will be required.
- Personal flotation devices are required at all times. Repeat offenders of this policy will no longer have access to the facility, and violators approached by the DEC may be fined.
Additional COVID-19 Precautions for the 2020 season:
- Stay home if you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Bring personal hand sanitizer and an acceptable face covering to wear within 6 feet of people outside your household/family unit.
- Pack out all trash.
- Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more and avoid gatherings of any kind, except among members of the same household/family unit.